Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i have recently got a 03 espace with no engine it should have a 2.2dci but i guess it went wrong, question is can i use any 2.2 g9t engine as a replacement as i have not idea what the engine number or code is,

please please help

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
You are better off with G8T in terms of reliability. 2.2DCI is probably the worst engine renault has ever produced. Older 2.2 dti on the other hand has very good reliability and price. MR espace is the one to talk to. He is the best regarding this subject.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
You are better off with G8T in terms of reliability. 2.2DCI is probably the worst engine renault has ever produced. Older 2.2 dti on the other hand has very good reliability and price. MR espace is the one to talk to. He is the best regarding this subject.
Somebody's a bit bitter! But to be honest, anybody who thinks the 2.2 dCi is the most unreliable engine in the known universe hasn't owned a 1.9 dCi! At least they don't eat turbos every 80k or so... A cracked inlet manifold is relatively easy to deal with by comparison.

I'd imagine the turbos are a little bit better, but having owned a car with a G8T engine, it was the most sluggish, rough running, noisy, uneconomical (the 1.8 petrols I've had since are better on fuel by far...) diesel imaginable (the PSA XUDs are much, much better as far as a mechanical, IDI diesel goes.) And before you drive it anywhere, disable the EGR or your inlet will get so clogged up you'll never get it clean!

Plus, if the OP's car is a Mk4 Espace, there's no way a G8T is going in... You might get away with it with a late Mk3 because they did at least make those with G8Ts at some point so a loom might be obtainable...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts