Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

The wife has a Renault Wind which is coming up for 3 years old and 27k miles and needs a mot in Jan.

We booked it in for an mot but it failed as both gaiters were split and both ball joints worn. The mot guy was surprised at this and suggested the ball joints were written due to crap getting in through the split gaiters.

So we took the car to the local Renault dealer who inspected the car and told us that the gaiters were split due to excessive kerbing as evidenced by the damage to the alloy wheels.

I asked how a force on the outside edge of the wheels can translate to a mechanical force on the gaiter causing it to split but nobody could draw me a picture.

Am I wrong? I'm no mechanical engineer but so far haven't had anything close to a decent explanation.

The wife's driving habits have not changed but this is the first time we've had this kind of issue at this kind of mileage - and yes her alloys always end up kerbed!

Any opinions and words of wisdom greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,980 Posts
I'm with you, confused how even the most violent banging over kerbs could split the ball joint gaiters, especially both of them.
Bend summat yes but not split gaiters.

And if I'm reading you right, it's more a habit of rubbing the kerbs when parking then bumping over them.

So even if it has an effect, why both gaiters? Does the good lady even out the wear by clipping both sides on a regular basis?

And if it is caused by her driving habits, why aren't more susceptable components worn, like track rod ends, inner tie rod joints, steering rack ?

Personally, in this day and age I'd be writing to Renault asking for a contribution to the costs. The days when these sort of parts failed in under 30k and three years have long gone. And if they haven't terms like fitness for purpose come to mind.
One side failing is in my mind, bad luck S**T happens, but both sides speaks of poor materials/manufacture.
Kerbing is just an excuse the dealer is trying to sell you.

·
Premium Member
12,945 Posts
There's probably most chance of them splitting due to flying debris on the roads or maybe a previous repair where a forked splitter was used to seperate the ball joints.

If the joints were at the point of falling apart, I suppose the constant movement of the boot could cause it to split but unlikely. Minor wear wouldn't cause it.

Whatever the reason, the ball joints would wear out more quickly if grease escaped and water got inside.

Kerbing....Jackanory lives on.:d

·
Registered
1 Posts
my wifes Renault with only 4500 miles on went for first MOT gaiters on ball joints said to be split told this was because it had been stood and not used enough .what a load of B S this by a Renault service manager

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,865 Posts
Both steering rack gaiters failed on my Clio and track rod ends at less than 80,000 miles maybe they are making them out of some eco rubber rubbish and it's not up to the job letting water in and leading to early failure.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Gaiters for rod ends, etc., tend to be generic and not manufacters specific so there is no way of knowing how long they have been sitting around or left out in daylight even before they are fitted. All rubber products deteriorate with age and exposure to daylight regardless of mileage and possible abuse.

·
Sexy at 71 super mod..
24,624 Posts
Both steering rack gaiters failed on my Clio and track rod ends at less than 80,000 miles maybe they are making them out of some eco rubber rubbish and it's not up to the job letting water in and leading to early failure.
80k Ralph I think I would be grateful for 80k..:eek: I bought pedal rubber for my fiat stilo some years back ..now that's what I call poor quality..even the guy behind the counter said I hope fiat never start making condoms.. :d

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,865 Posts
I must be used to running better quality vehicles,
or at least ones that are put together with better components.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts