Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My megane went in for repairs post MOT. It just needed drop link and front driver side brake pipe. The work was carried out however, when the mechanic went to bleed the brakes, the bleed nipple crumpled away apparently.

So, they called me up, told me what happened and said I will have to pay an extra £230 for a new caliper and won't be done till Monday. Which is a rip off in it's own right.

My question is, do I have the right as a consumer to tell them they have to pay for the mistake they made or at a discounted price? As the law states that the work has to be carried out with 'reasonable care and skill'.

Any advise would be appreciated. Garage in question is Halfords autocentre.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,619 Posts
Bleah........
Bleed nipples are notorious for breaking.
Very difficult to prove negligence if one does.

They can be drilled out and retapped but I can understand a garage not wanting to do that incase swarf gets into brake system.
Safe method is replace the caliper.

This is where I would be falling out with them.
230 notes, them aving a laff.
Recon caliper from a reputable supplier should not be more then 100 and I would suspect less. There will be some labour added to that as needs removing old and bolting on new but 1 hour tops.
Easy enough to find new (supposedly) units for around a ton..this for instance but no idea if any good
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apec-Front-Left-Brake-Caliper-LCA735-Fit-with-RENAULT-MEGANE/331972847828?epid=1585393891&hash=item4d4b1fa8d4:g:D7kAAOSwLnBX2-bN

Check people like GSF (57% weekend discount at moment code JAN57) or Eurocar parts who seem to be offering 40%

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bleah........
Bleed nipples are notorious for breaking.
Very difficult to prove negligence if one does.

They can be drilled out and retapped but I can understand a garage not wanting to do that incase swarf gets into brake system.
Safe method is replace the caliper.

This is where I would be falling out with them.
230 notes, them aving a laff.
Recon caliper from a reputable supplier should not be more then 100 and I would suspect less. There will be some labour added to that as needs removing old and bolting on new but 1 hour tops.
Easy enough to find new (supposedly) units for around a ton..this for instance but no idea if any good
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apec-Front-Left-Brake-Caliper-LCA735-Fit-with-RENAULT-MEGANE/331972847828?epid=1585393891&hash=item4d4b1fa8d4:g:D7kAAOSwLnBX2-bN

Check people like GSF (57% weekend discount at moment code JAN57) or Eurocar parts who seem to be offering 40%
I said the price was ridiculous, but they aren't allowed to fit customer bought items. I called up ECP and they had one for 120... taking the **** they are. I put my angry pregnant wife on the phone and they are trying to bleed the system 'another' way. Haha.

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
The 'Other Way' is probably leaving the nipple well alone and opening the hose union instead. Many wise mechanics do this as standard operating procedure because they are sick and fed up of nipples refusing to shift and or breaking. If you know what you are about it's perfectly ok to do it this way.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 'Other Way' is probably leaving the nipple well alone and opening the hose union instead. Many wise mechanics do this as standard operating procedure because they are sick and fed up of nipples refusing to shift and or breaking. If you know what you are about it's perfectly ok to do it this way.
I wish they did that. But apparently the bleed nipple 'crumbled'. Mot didn't mention anything about it either...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,619 Posts
I wish they did that. But apparently the bleed nipple 'crumbled'. Mot didn't mention anything about it either...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
It wouldn't, an MOT inspector would not fail a car unless the caliper was leaking from the nipple, otherwise visual check only.
And they can snap, be rounded, crumble.... they are 'orrible.

If it makes you feel any better, I had similar with my Scenic when changing rear pads.
Went to crack nipple open, proper brake spanner, no pressure on it, just took up the slack as such... nipple fell out..... thread had been stripped and some clown had glued the nipple back in.... that cost me a new (recon) caliper.
I'd probably done 20K in the motor at that point...wiv a nipple glued in :eek:

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
7,174 Posts
I will tell you what would make someone a lot of money (probably)

refurbish old callipers and drill out the bleed nipple holes, install a larger thread sized steel insert, get some Chinese school boys to manufacture larger hardened steel bleed nipples, and sell the whole lot as a kit (virtually) guaranteed not to snap, seize or shatter when used.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Heating a seized bleed nipple is not a good idea - you risk damaging the inner piston seal which in turn to lead to total brake failure.

Remember brakes are like your best friends - you miss them most when they ain't there.

If you do it right there is no chance of damaging the piston seals - doing track days where the brake fluid boils would apply far more heat to the piston seals than a carefully applied gas torch.

Only the nipple is heated with a blue flame for a few moments.. NOT the caliper body. The mass of the caliper body and brake fluid easily absorb the small amount of heat conducted before it gets a chance to have any effect on the rubber seals. Half the bleed jobs I do need heat applied I must have done hundreds like this over the years..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts