Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've now had my '07 Mk 3 Clio dci 2 weeks now, & I'm slowly ironing out the niggles.
Fan-speeds now all working, driver's door shuts properly now, it's still running on the initial £25's worth of diesel I stuck in on the day of purchase, but the gear-change could be smoother..it can be notchy on many occasions.
So then..The car's just clocked up 66,000 miles...Should I presume the gearbox oil is a tad thin and that it has not been changed in a long while..?
(Assuming nothing 'mechanical' is faulty)
If I'm gonna change the oil in the box What oil do you folk on here use in your 1.5 dci's..?
(I DID read on 1 of the pages on here that ELF oils were the ones to use...or Total..?)
Also, is an oil syringe (with a hose) worth buying for the job..? (think they're about 8 quid).
Many thanks in advance for suggestions etc...Cheers now U.S.

·
Super mod..
28,368 Posts

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
25,054 Posts
So then..The car's just clocked up 66,000 miles...Should I presume the gearbox oil is a tad thin and that it has not been changed in a long while..?
I would assume the gearbox oil has never been changed but would not be rushing into changing it either.
Renault (and many other makers) reckon sealed for life now.... translates as 100K plus.
Can't remember if there is a filler on the top or side but having a dip will give you an idea of the state.
Bright and clear, forget it.
Dark and murky...needs changing.
Metal sparkles... panic (but unless you have serious whining or funny noises, doubt that it will be the case)

Often notchy gear changes come down to clutch problems.... not releasing cleanly so synchro holding up the change.
But short of a clutch change, often not a lot you can do about that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Dancingdad for some good (sensible) info here..After now thinking along the lines of quirky-clutch..it's bite-point is near the top of the pedal's stroke, so maybe there's some grabbing going on in there..?
I think for now I'll be patient on up-changes,and simply enjoy driving my Clio.. :):)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts