Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - Just bought a 2004 Scenic and trying to change tatty gear shift gaiter. Bought a super leather one off eBay, removed old one OK but new one wont fit over gear knob which must now be removed, but how?
I've tried unscrewing it but no luck, had a good look around it and can't see any obvious way of removing it.........ANY IDEAS?

Regards - Dave

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi from previous experience they are glued on (and quite well too) the only way to get it off my mums 1st scenic was with a hacksaw, due to advice from a renault main dealer teckie. however on the seccond one i put a cloth around the nob :d and used a pair of mulgrips a few twists both way and voila. gd luck tj

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks tj, I hope I don't need to scrap the knob in order to remove it :mad:. I'll hope for a few more replies that give less destructive advice then finally try your multigrips solution with fingers crossed.

Cheers - Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an 2008 Scenic which has a really tatty gaiter that needs changing. Did anyone find an easy way to do this? Can you take the gear stick out and put it on the bottom or does it have to go on the top?

Mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok this is on a 2004 Scenic Grand

The gear knob is held in by a stiff plastic collar on the metal gear stick, pull on the knob very hard and it will pop off.

BE CAREFUL the force needed to pull the knob off it quick great.

The whole thing should come out knob, 6 inch shaft and the boot. To release the knob from the shaft, push it down onto the shaft and twist. It'll come off and a large spring will drop out.

hope this helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok this is on a 2004 Scenic Grand

The gear knob is held in by a stiff plastic collar on the metal gear stick, pull on the knob very hard and it will pop off.

BE CAREFUL the force needed to pull the knob off it quick great.

The whole thing should come out knob, 6 inch shaft and the boot. To release the knob from the shaft, push it down onto the shaft and twist. It'll come off and a large spring will drop out.

hope this helps
Thanks very much, that worked great. Gaiter now replaced.

Thanks again

mark

·
Registered
10 Posts

hope this helps
But...should really the "6 inch shaft" come out ?
It would sound like you pull real hard and find you destroyed the entire shift assy ?

I have read of two main advice :

School 1: Take a hacksaw to it. Knob glued in place with epoxy resin. Do not pull excessively.

School 2: Should be possible to pull straight up if you got the strength. Then the knob and reverse lock sleeve with its spring is released. The 6 inch shaft hopefully stays in place.

I think I will try 2 to begin with. Anyway by looking at photos of the lever assy with no knob in Ebay photos and the inside of the new knob, it is easy to conclude that NO TURNING should be done. It goes straight on.
I wish myself luck in this endeavor.

My own issue: The gear knob of a beige interior Scenic II is worn and there is no exact replacements out there or tan leather knob restoration kit. The closest in appearance solution I found on Ebay is a beige plastic non-leather knob with incorrect gear scheme on the top insert.

·
Super mod..
29,527 Posts
But...should really the "6 inch shaft" come out ?
It would sound like you pull real hard and find you destroyed the entire shift assy ?

I have read of two main advice :

School 1: Take a hacksaw to it. Knob glued in place with epoxy resin.

School 2: Should be possible to pull straight up if you got the strength. Then the knob and reverse lock sleeve with its spring is released.

I think I will try 2 to begin with. Anyway by looking that photos of the lever with no knob and the inside of the new knob, NO TURNING should be done. It goes straight on. I wish myself luck.
Spraken zee German..:eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lG18b323W4

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks, yes I saw that one. Looks reassuring, that clip is what had me consider trying that. I will let you know how it goes tonight when female friend is back with the car... I expect no groping

·
Registered
10 Posts
SUCCESS !

I tried the method shown in that Megane video and pulled the knob with both hands while turning the knob some millimetre in both directions. and WHAM ! suddely I sat there with an entire assembly in my hand trying to understand what had happened :crazy:

Well it turned out nothing was damaged [relief].
I had not understood how the assembly looks like.
The knob, the reverse shift ring, a spring and an outer gear stick tube along with the leather gear gaiter comes out as a complete assembly.

Below I will call it a "sub-assembly".

So before pulling on the knob it is important to loosen the bezel around the gaiter so that the plastic tabs that hold it does not break when the sub-assembly comes loose. In my case the entire gaiter assembly bezel popped off as I pulled the knob, luckily all the tabs remained OK.

As you see here from the side the knob,lever,spring, shaft and gaiter is one assembly:

In this situation you remove the old knob from this secondary shaft by turning it some 90 degrees to the side. For simplicity, at this moment do not mess with the other parts of this sub-assembly but directly replace the old knob with the new knob (turning it in place) without removing he spring or reverse lever. Make sure that the new knob comes in the same direction as the old one did. It can be installed backwards by mistake.

Understanding how the assembly works:

To make sure that you did not install the new knob backwards; When you look at the knob from the rear after having installed it on the sub-assembly, the little extension at the bottom of the shaft shall point to the right. That extension is a "gear stick stopper" (see photo) that when the assembly is installed prevents selecting reverse gear when the spring loaded lever is in the unpressed position. When the lever ring is lifted upwards it will lift this shaft upwards which will allow the stopper to move past a wall (see photo) down at the shifter assy when you engage reverse.

Now install the gear stick assy back onto the gear stick shaft:

Place the outer shaft over the stick shaft and make sure that the mentioned "stopper" at the bottom of this shaft points to the right. Press down the knob onto the shaft stick until you see the bottom stopper sits slightly left of and above that side wall mentioned.
Now give the knob some hard blows with your hand from above so that the outer assembly becomes seated fully down onto the shift stick. You can now try to select reverse and can confirm that the stopper prevents engaging reverse unless you lift that lever ring around the knob. All fine. Now position and press down on the bezel tabs so that the leather gaiter become installed back in place. You´re done !

Here is a photo of the knob I installed.

This knob is a plastic replacement I found on Ebay http://goo.gl/JCeUsP that happens to exist in beige color. The gear indicator plate is incorrect however.
The 6-gear scheme is ok but the reverse on my Scenic is towards the bottom right, not upper left.
But I don´t care and the female friend owner of the Scenic has been briefed on this change in appearance. All are happy. I like the plastic knob better than the leather one. Better feel in changing gears.

This shows new knob compare to old:

·
Super mod..
29,527 Posts
Excellent info and worthy of a nomination from me..that will help loads of people guaranteed..:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts