Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I've got yet another problem with the Espace. I'm beginning to think it's more trouble than it's worth. Don't get me wrong, I love the Laguna's and I'm not knocking Renault at all, but the Espace is obviously not a car for the DIY'er or enthusiast. I'm not too bad with a spanner but the fact that there's no manual available doesn't help either.

Rant over, now here's the new problem....

Changing gears has become a nightmare. I've done a search and haven't found anything definitive. Going forward the gears are hard to change, but even more problematic is trying to get reverse.

I was hoping that it would probably just a case of bleeding the clutch (am I right in thinking it is hydraulic?) but it seems that there is no way to bleed it.

I would like to check the fluid level and have read that the reservoir is under the dash somehwere, but not sure exactly where? Is it a case of removing just the top of the dash (don't recall seeing it there) or the whole dash (must be very interesting to say the least).

Is there anything else I can check? Would a lack of gearbox fluid also cause this?

Also, my brake pedal goes all the way down with relative ease and I can hear hissing from the passenger side. If I press the clutch after the brake, the brake pedal rises by a few mm....

I want to try a theory even though I'm not sure it will work so will appreciate any comments......

Since the clutch is fed from the brake fluid reservior, do you think I will have any luck bleeding the clutch through one of the calipers or are the two systems completely seperate after the brake fluid reservior?

Ay comments appreciated.... I don't think I'd want to hang onto the Espace if this costs megabucks to repair... its only a 1997 and I've only had it 6 months

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hi,

Sorry to hear of your problems, I believe it is a major job renewing a slave cylinder on an Espace there is posts in the Forums regarding this prob.

I'm sure someone with more Tech knowledge than myself will assist further on this .

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Does the clutch work better if you pump it a few times then change gear?

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys.

The clutch / gear change isn't any better after pumping the pedal. It's at a garage right now (just your normal back street garage mind :rolleyes: ) and he's saying there doesn't seem to be any pressure. The pedal is actually quite soft compared to how it was when we first got it... i.e. very hard to press.

Also, I still need to know where the reservoir under the dash is and how to access it please... can't see no leaks in the car though.

Also, whats the difference between the master and the slave cylinder? Do they do different jobs?

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems the master cylinder is shot..... It's at a garage who are taking on the job:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Mat.

Thanks for the link - it does sound very very identical to your problem.

I've not had any clutch slippage either and the garage has so far said its the master cylinder (awaiting parts I think). I notice that along with a new clutch, just the master cylinder was replaced and not the slave? I think they will be replaceing just the master on ours although the general consensus on the forum is that it be the slave :crazy:

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, they're replacing master, slave and the clutch (pressure plate?) as it would have needed doing soon.

One thing I'd appreciate a quick answer to (I haven't been to the garage myself so can't ask them) is will changing the pressure plate also cure the noise from the thrust bearing or is this a separate part? If so, how much and can it be easily done with the clutch out?

thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts