Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the gear ratios for the Twingo 3 non-turbo SCe 70 999cc 5-speed 2015? I can't find them anywhere on-line and Renault UK Customer Relations still haven't managed to find out for me. It isn't in the driver's handbook or under tech. specs. on Renaults website. It is driving me nuts! The 0.9 Tce90 has different gearing.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Shared tech with the Smart ForTwo, these are the ratios for the petrol 999cc N/A Smart ForTwo 450. Should be very close if not identical.

1st gear 13.912
2nd gear 8.664
3rd gear 5.697
4th gear 4.271
5th gear 3.456
Final Drive 4.529
Reverse 14.633

Full list here

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Fraser,

It is the same as a Smart Forfour 1.0 Pure 453. I can't find them for that either. According to Carfolio.com the final drive is 3.73 and 5th gear is 3.3197 overall (0.89 actual). The figures you quote are for a 451 which is the 2007-2014 model and not related to the Twingo despite the engine being of the same capacity as it is actually a Mitsubishi 3B2 engine. The 453 and Twingo use Renault H4D 400 engines. I can't find the ratios for the 453 on the Evilution site. Can you? Thanks for trying!

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Damn, not getting much against the 453. Got a friend that does gearbox recon work. I'll ping him a mail see if he can shed a little light. Not holding my breath on it though. Sorry.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Fraser. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll have to physically measure the rotation in each gear when I have the spark plugs out for renewal. I could count the crankshaft rotations for one turn of the road wheels in each gear. The easiest way would be to have one rear wheel on the ground and just turn the other but that would give a different result from turning both wheels together due to the action of the differential. Now to find out what effect it would have! Also,
if the figures for the 5th ratio and final drive I have are correct, I could use the ratio between the observed ratio (turning one wheel) and the known ratio and apply that to the observations for the other gears. Incidentally, I have found that the car will do 33mph in 1st, 60mph in 2nd, and about 90mph in 3rd, 4th don't know, and the theoretical maximum in 5th at 6500rpm is 138mph. It is possible that the speed at 6500rpm in 4th is about113mph. The car has a maximum speed of 94mph according to Renault. It is undergeared for that in 3rd and overgeared in both 4th and 5th.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have an OBDII tool that plugs into a laptop. Only problem is the battery on the laptop is knackered! It's fine on a stationary car with an extension lead and transformer!

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,094 Posts
Ah well.... summat like a cheap Bluetooth Elm and an app on your mobile...can display revs in real time.
Torque app if you have Android.

Whacha want the info for anyway...nosy curious I aml ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have that kind of phone, sadly. I just like to know what the maximum speeds in gears are. I'm not certain what the redline actually is. Renault say the rev limiter cuts in at between 6450 and 6750rpm depending on various factors. Max power is at 6000.

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
Unless you absolutely know for a fact the exact ratio of any particular gear, then counting wheel rotations per engine rotation for that gear will not get you the diff ratio.

The easiest way would be to have one rear wheel on the ground and just turn the other but that would give a different result from turning both wheels together due to the action of the differential. Now to find out what effect it would have!
Diff action with one wheel stationary is to double spinning wheel

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You could say the interest is partly academic. The SCe70 certainly has widely spaced gears and is geared for economy, not performance. I'm quite happy with the gearing and find the performance very satisfying in the rural area in which I live, but it is easy to see that the engine can't easily be kept on the boil for maximum acceleration, especially up steep hills, with the gears so far apart.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unless you absolutely know for a fact the exact ratio of any particular gear, then counting wheel rotations per engine rotation for that gear will not get you the diff ratio.

Diff action with one wheel stationary is to double spinning wheel
Thanks LvR, I thought it might be. I'll only use that method if all alse fails. I might just borrow a laptop with a good battery.

·
23,094 Posts
Realistically, red line in little engines is usually only relevant in 1st or 2nd under hard acceleration.
But know what you mean on hills and spaced gears/economy settings.
My Q car is gutless below 4k but around then, the VVT comes in and it is like lighting the blue touch paper.
Trouble is on steep hills and a load, it hasn't got the power to get to 4K unless I really want to scream it in 1st.
And listen to 'Er Indoors moaning.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

carfolio.com gives the final drive as 3.73 and 5th gear as 0.89, so I have something to go on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Rta 816 Twingo III : 1.0i (71 Ch) (Depuis 2014) 1 Jun 2017.
In answer to my own question, I now have a copy of Revue Technique Automobile as above (Amazon £25.72 post-free IN FRENCH).
The ratios are 1st 3.727 , 2nd 2.048, 3rd 1.39, 4th 1.029 and 5th 0.82, final drive 3.7324. In the book the inverse ratios are given: 0.2683, 0.4884, 0.7179, 0.9714, 1.2188 and final drive 0.2679. Mph/000rpm are: 5.07, 9.23, 13.6, 18.36 and 23.05.
The fifth gear ratio in the book differs from that quoted on Carfolio.com. 1st and 2nd are the same as the TCe 90 and 3rd and 4th are the same as the Dacia Sandero SCe75, giving wider ratios than the TCe 90, which also has a higher 5th gear of 0.74 and a lower final drive of 4.07 to give lower maxima in all gears except 5th, which is fractionally higher. What this means is that the top speed with a hurricane-force wind behind you would be 155mph hitting the rev-limiter in 5th! You could see 123mph down a very steep hill in 4th, and it really will do over 90mph in 3rd and over 60mph in 2nd, with over 30mph in 1st.

·
23,094 Posts
30 in first is possible
60 in second maybe
After that forget it, chances of power v drag and wind resistance allowing does rather depend on the hurricane force tailwind.... or stuffing it in third from over the ton in fifth.
Which is more or less what a lad we knew did with his Corsa. (into second at 70 plus)
The engine did not survive the experience. Valve damage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts