Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with gear selection on a Renault Espace RXE 2.2dt. It's particularly bad when the weather is cold. Selection of second gear is the worst with slight grating when the stick is pushed into second. When the engine warms up the problem goes away, but gear selection is still a little firm. I had the clutch and spring loaded fly wheel replaced 9 months ago. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
It could be a synchro or it may be something simple like the linkage between the stick and box needs adjustment.Did you replace yourself or did a garage do it? If a garage,take it back if they gave you a 12 month warranty.If it is the synchro though then you could be looking at a hefty bill.Is yours a high miler?

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Hi M8:) A Big Problem With Renault Gearboxes Is The Tend To Lose There Gear Oil Through Leaks Etc. So A Low Gearbox Oil Level Will Cause This.
Also If The Rong Grade Of Oil Will Do The Same And This Will Tend To Get Better As It Heats Up

I Would Go With This (FIRST AS ITS EASY AND CHEAP TO RECTIFY) As You Say It Gets Better As It Heats Up Also The Box May Be Beginning To Show A Bit Of Were And Tear.

Hope This Has Helped And Good Luck Alex:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gearbox

Thanks. The clutch job was done by a garage. I will check the gearbox oil level. The car has done 117,000 miles. I would have thought the gearbox should last for longer than that?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts