Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My Scenic has recently developed a problem with it's gearbox.
It's an '02 1.6 16v and the problem started with 5th gear. No problems selecting the gear, but a loud 'whining' noise whilst driving. Couple of days later it then felt like it was try'ing to jump out of gear.

My mechanic friend has drained the oil and removed the box. The oil as suspected was contaminated with metal but was of a bronze colour.
He's begun to split the box but has found nothing obvious that has worn or broke. He says the diff is noisey though when spun.

I'm thinking it would just be easier/cheaper to buy a 2nd hand box though.
My local breakers has one from a '51 scenic but it has a different code?? Mine has JB 3982

Does the code simply refer to different ratios??
And are all boxes from Scenic II's interchangeable regardless of the JB code??

Sorry for the long winded post and thanks for any info/advice in advance.

Regards

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Hi m the JB code is the bell housing type ,the full type would be ie. JB3/123 , or JB1/123 etc. the numbers donate the gear ratios , to help , if you call the parts department on 0844 5678 765 on monday , and give them the regestrations of boath cars , they will be able to tell you if they are a match or not.Hope that helps , Rich:d

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Renault gearboxes aren't the most robust units unfortunately,diff bearings are a common problem,the nut holding 5th gear in place can work loose too.Syncro problems aren't unheard of either.The 5 speed box is generally better than the 6 speed (PK6 series) though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts