Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

just had my gearbox replaced under warranty on my 54 plate 1.5dci Scenic. (16,000 miles). The problem being is that Renault replaced it with an exchange box and not a new one! I have contacted Renault UK and complained and they said that it is standard policy not to give me a new one. I have asked them to put that into writing and i will forward that to my solicitor. My dealer said that they will not do that and true to their word, np sign of the letter!. Thanks Renault UK, so far I am not impressed. How do I stand legally and has this happened to anyone else?

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Its actually quite commonplace for this to happen - I personally wouldn't worry unduly about it - a reconditioned gearbox will have all-new moving parts fitted. I believe the arguement for using such items is two-fold, one - is the economic arguement; second is that if Renault fitted a brand-new item (which would otherwise be destined for the production-line), then there would be an element of 'betterment' which means that your car and its value would be enhanced by using the more expensive part.

Insurance companies will often approve of non-O.E. parts being used on cars involved in accidents, again, this is not made public knowledge, but there is nothing illegal involved.

This may be in your warranty book - if you wanted a brand-new item, you would need (unless you can prove a history of failure with reconditioned items) to pay the difference in price.

It may sound harsh, but I used to work in an out-of-warranty department, and that's essentially how it is.

Paul:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its actually quite commonplace for this to happen - I personally wouldn't worry unduly about it - a reconditioned gearbox will have all-new moving parts fitted. I believe the arguement for using such items is two-fold, one - is the economic arguement; second is that if Renault fitted a brand-new item (which would otherwise be destined for the production-line), then there would be an element of 'betterment' which means that your car and its value would be enhanced by using the more expensive part.

Insurance companies will often approve of non-O.E. parts being used on cars involved in accidents, again, this is not made public knowledge, but there is nothing illegal involved.

This may be in your warranty book - if you wanted a brand-new item, you would need (unless you can prove a history of failure with reconditioned items) to pay the difference in price.

It may sound harsh, but I used to work in an out-of-warranty department, and that's essentially how it is.

Thanks Paul,

it just sticks in my throat a bit that the car has only done 16,000 miles and i might have ended up with a gearbox that although reconditioned, may have done a whole lot more than that. I am also concerned that if Renault UK said that they will put it into wriring, then i would expect that to happen!

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I know what you mean - the auto box in my scorpio lasted 95,000 miles, then needed replacing - the first replacement lasted 1,500 miles - the second 250 miles - the third 50 miles...the fourth has (touch wood) lasted nearly 40,000 miles so far.

This was because Ford's parts centre at Daventry was so full, that they were storing gearboxes outside in wooden crates (and water was getting in).

I would just try to put the experience to the back of my mind, and in all likelihood the 'new' box will perform without incident.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts