Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi could be in the wrong place looking at buying a 2000 reg megane coupe that needs a new gear box. i have changed a few boxs on cars before. is it easy to do or is there any thing i should be aware of. is there a guide on here or any where. thanks

R

·
0 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Forum :)

There is just enough room to unbolt the gearbox from the engine to change the clutch. But there isn't enough room to remove the gearbox on it's own. So you will have to either lift the engine and gear box out together or drop the engine and gearbox on the subframe and remove from under the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right i dont mind that part of changing it. next would the 1.6 gearbox from a t reg 16 valve fit a 2.0 16 valve w reg. thanks

R

·
0 Posts
Is your engine the 2.0 IDE or 2.0 F4R?

I don't know for sure but I would be inclined to say no as the 1.4 K4J and 1.6 K4M 16 valve engines use pretty much the same block and are slighly smaller than the F4R I belive?

The 1.8 F4P and 2.0 F4R share the same block so would have thought a 1.8 gearbox would be okay?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Ideally the gearbox codes need to match,the code will start with either JB3 or JC5 and then have three digits after it,these need to match to be 100% sure that it will fit and be the right final ratio.

You can sometimes get away with using a different code (the last three digits different but still a JB3 or JC5 to match yours),but there are subtle differences between each one meaning that it is very hit and miss.

·
La sola lupo
2,521 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Forum :)

There is just enough room to unbolt the gearbox from the engine to change the clutch. But there isn't enough room to remove the gearbox on it's own. So you will have to either lift the engine and gear box out together or drop the engine and gearbox on the subframe and remove from under the car.
It is possible to get the gearbox out on its own, I did it on my megane F3R but Its no easy job, you have to stripp off everything above it, take off the top engine mount and move the engine towards the wheel

·
Registered
10 Posts
where are you>??? need assistance getting car going again, new gearbox is put in... but cant get the gear linkage sorted and need another pair of eyes to look over for me.... can you help???

·
La sola lupo
2,521 Posts
What is the problem, cant you get it into gear, are the gears crunching?

BTW Im in South Africa

1 - 9 of 9 Posts