Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just like buses this no faults ever and now coming along all in one go :( .

First problem, as you will see from my first post on here (click on my user name then find more posts by stomp) the girlfreind lost her keys to her clio (M reg 1.9 diesel) but this problem happened off and on before she lost her keys so it is nothing to do with her new key.

The boot will not close as in it will push down but not lock shut, the catch in the boot lid itself is across the hole where the catch loop in the bottom of the boot would go to lock it so when you try to shut the boot you can push it down so it rests closed but it wont completely shut or lock.

When this has happened in the past i have just played around with it like putting the key in the lock and turning it, flicking the central locking off and on and all the other times it worked.

With the new key she has to use it as a normal key (no blipper) but there is a button on the centre consol which you can press to open and close the central locking.

Second problem, when she first got the car fuel consumption was good you could with steady driving get 600 miles with one tank but over the past year or so and particuly in the lastfew months it has been getting worse and now you are lucky to get 400 miles with one tank also when she is short of cash she might just put £5 in which used to last about 70-80 miles now she gets about 40 miles

When it went for its MOT last year she asked the garage to check to see if there were any leaks in the fuel system. They had a look when it was on the ramp and could not see anything so just wondering if anybody has any ideas or suggestions as it is going for its MOT on friday and if it needs any work it would be the perfect time to do it.

The car has 118000 on the clock, completely standard, original engiene gearbox etc and the girlfreind is an average driver not shumacher but also not slow ;) .

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
The boot problem may be a simple as the striker plate needing adjusting. If you try the remote you should hear the lock motor operate if it does adjust the striker plate. If there is no noise then it may be a solenoid not working or a loose wire.

As for the fuel consumption, many things can effect it. When was the oil and oil filter and the air cleaner last changed, these are fairly cheap and simle things that can have a big effect. (also £5 won't get her far after today I would say before the budget it was only about a petrol can full, after today it's probably a tea cup).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The boot problem may be a simple as the striker plate needing adjusting. If you try the remote you should hear the lock motor operate if it does adjust the striker plate. If there is no noise then it may be a solenoid not working or a loose wire.

As for the fuel consumption, many things can effect it. When was the oil and oil filter and the air cleaner last changed, these are fairly cheap and simle things that can have a big effect. (also £5 won't get her far after today I would say before the budget it was only about a petrol can full, after today it's probably a tea cup).

Dont know much about cars, like driving them rather than repairing them so i am guessing the striker plate is the lock part in the boot?

Also before the problems started i never heard/noticed the boot lock motor operating so if it is a solenoid/loose wire how would i go about finding the problem and repairing it?

The car had a full service about 6 months ago and it did not make any difference at all.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
H stomp - you said your car had a service 6 months ago - how many miles have you done since. Was it a full service and was it carried to a decent standard. One other thing cars tend to be more thirsty in the winter months. I have recently inspected at least 3 cars that were supposedly serviced recently and I was appalled at the standard.

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Dont know much about cars, like driving them rather than repairing them so i am guessing the striker plate is the lock part in the boot?

Also before the problems started i never heard/noticed the boot lock motor operating so if it is a solenoid/loose wire how would i go about finding the problem and repairing it?

The car had a full service about 6 months ago and it did not make any difference at all.
It's the u shaped ring on the body itself. You can normally move it by releasing the 2 screws.

The solenoid is inside the boot door itself so you would need to remove the inner cover for access.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
H stomp - you said your car had a service 6 months ago - how many miles have you done since. Was it a full service and was it carried to a decent standard. One other thing cars tend to be more thirsty in the winter months. I have recently inspected at least 3 cars that were supposedly serviced recently and I was appalled at the standard.

Cant remember what the mileage was when it was done but my girlfriend only does average mileage and it was a full service at a independent garage that we have used before and they seem pretty good.

Dont think it could be winter as the problem has been around for about a year getting slowly worse with a major drop recently.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the u shaped ring on the body itself. You can normally move it by releasing the 2 screws.

The solenoid is inside the boot door itself so you would need to remove the inner cover for access.

If i remember correctly :eek: the two screws are not normal ones but have a sort of star/petal shaped thread on top not a straight line or a "philips" head like a normal screw head , how would i undo them? would i need to buy a special tool or is there some way to bodge it?

If i need to how would i remove the inner cover? then when i have got the cover off what should i look for and do? and finally how easy is it to put back together as even though the car is old the girlfriend wants the car to look nice and not having bits of interior falling off?.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Stomp - if you're going to do amy work on Renaults you'd better get yourself a set of interior Torx drivers (most decent tool stockists keep them, got mine from Maplins) - trying to use something else will only bugger them up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The car went for its MOT last friday and as a locking/shutting boot is part of the MOT the garage had a look and it was the striker plate :) .

So good suggestion a thanks for your help :d

The fuel problem is still there :( so any suggestions/help still needed :) .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts