Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Since I bought my 2006 Megane 1.5dci in May, I had no faults until now, after two in 3 months warranty period.

It went in for battery charging light flashing on and off, and the local Independent garage cleaned alternator terminals and asked me to see how it went.
On picking it up I had to move seat forwards a little.

The next day my airbag warning light came on, just by turning ignition on, and stayed on.
Guessing moving of seat possibly caused this, and under warranty I had a new passenger airbag rotary switch.
I used a DTC code reader to find any airbag codes, but none in the book.

It picked up P0381 - Glow plug heater indicator circuit malfunction and indeed when I start the car, the glow plug symbol doesn't display long, but engine does start.

I mentioned both, as they have happened close together.

Has anyone comer across this happening out of the blue?
I will book into the garage, but wondered if any of you could help.

Many Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Stu

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
The glow-plug light doubles as a fuel injection fault warning so you may have an engine problem which is highly unlikely to be assocuated with the air-bag fault.

Also the code you have is generic and not Renault specific so could be totally misleading. The Dci engines are prone to sticking EGR valves so it may be worth exploring that aspect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Thanks for your help.
That makes things a bit clearer for me.
I didn't think airbag one was linked but electrics can be mind boggling.

Thanks

·
remember Murphy never sleeps
8,239 Posts
hi on mine once you press the start button all lights go out,have never seen glowplug light on cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This morning, I have had the heater fans not working and once I took the fuse out to check, and all ok, and re-inserted it works on 1,2,3 only but not 4, which suggests not enough power to operate.
The charging light flickering has returned.
A agricultural machinery mechanic I work with says a failing alternator will throw up lots of errors, even ones that don't seem related, because of the lower than normal voltage generated.
The glow plug light usually stays on for approximately a few seconds before going out, but doesn't at all.
Local garage said it sounds like alternator, but also said the dashboard is prone to failing on Megane II.
I don't know about the latter.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts