Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what your golden rules of the road ?
after observing a certain kind of driver the last couple of weeks, mine would be,

Never Get Stuck Behind A Nissan Micra :steam:

they all seem to be driven be the slowest people on the road, and always when its a real ba*tard place to overtake them (god bless London) :crazy:
whats yours ?

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Beware of any driver who wears a hat whilst driving - young or old, their behaviour is likely to be erratic and unpredictable (just occuring at different speeds).

Another one is to treat every other driver as if they were an idiot (don't trust turn signals, etc), this will prove to be correct more often than not.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
When a lorry / van pulls out into the middle lane of the motorway, to overtake another, with you coming up behind they are 99.9% certain to have made observations to ensure you are OK to move out also.

A quick check of the mirror and blind spot and all is well!:)

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
Another one is to treat every other driver as if they were an idiot (don't trust turn signals, etc), this will prove to be correct more often than not.
Even if someone is indicating to turn left when you are waiting to turn right and you pull out on them and they pile into you, it's YOUR FAULT (hence the term indicator, as it's just an indication), so I always follow this rule...

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
what your golden rules of the road ?
after observing a certain kind of driver the last couple of weeks, mine would be,

Never Get Stuck Behind A Nissan Micra :steam:

they all seem to be driven be the slowest people on the road, and always when its a real ba*tard place to overtake them (god bless London) :crazy:
whats yours ?
A friend of mine has a rally micra, with a honda engine in it :crazy:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Presume everyone else is going to c0ck something up. That way you have a chance of being pleasantly suprised at least once in any journey

Look out for hoodies wearing black, riding black BMX bikes, in the dark, along the gutter, against the flow of traffic

Check for pedestrians crossing the road 20 yards before or after Pelican crossings

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Even if someone is indicating to turn left when you are waiting to turn right and you pull out on them and they pile into you, it's YOUR FAULT (hence the term indicator, as it's just an indication), so I always follow this rule...
As I cycle in London a lot, it is always advisable to follow the highway code and put yourself in the right position on the road to make your intentions obvious and stand up for your rights as a road user. Then just as importantly be prepared for all other road users (cyclists included) to assume you don't exist or matter and be prepared to back down or take evasive action.

Being in the right is meaningless when you're laying in the road with broken bones as I learned from experience.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
When test driving a car with your young children always make sure the safety catch is activated on the rear doors. I had a Vel Satis for a weekend and on the motorway there was a sudden rush of air!!!

Much panic was had by all - luckily I was slowing down of the slipway at the time. This made me choose the Avantime because it had 2 fewer doors!

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
The mis-guided Greens out there who try to save electricity by driving in the dark with their lights off...:d

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Beware of any driver who wears a hat whilst driving - young or old, their behaviour is likely to be erratic and unpredictable (just occuring at different speeds).

Paul:)

Does any one know the best way of returning a hat for refund:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
My golden rule for the road would be pure observation. Watch everything and think for everyone else on the road! Watch what they do with their car as it's often an indication of what they will do next ! For example on the motorway if you the car in front drifts slighty to the right near the white lines the chances are they will indicate (if your lucky!!) of pull out into your lane. People tend to do what their brain is thinking before they actually make their move!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

That same thing saved me last night on the M25 when a lorry drifted to the line and I was able to back off before he swerved into my lane without indicating! It was a foreign plate so obviously not used to the roads laws here!! :steam: :steam:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Predictive driving also helps a lot, you do know when a driver you have been behind for a while is going to turn in to their street. so allow a little room.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Any "pope mobile" type cars, Yaris,Daihatsu etc - driven by the same people as micras!

They have to slow down every time a car approaches from the other direction, even though they are on the other side of the white lines, brake for every corner & drive at a constant 45mph, regardless of the speed limit actually in force! The exception is on the only short straight bit of road that you could actually overtake safely they speed up momentarily to 55mph just fast enough for long enough to stop you overtaking them, then slow down to 45mph again.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts