Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone recommend a good aftermarket air intake for a 2013 Clio MK4 0.9 TCe, as I can’t seem to find any online.
Thanks in advance :)

·
Super mod..
30,096 Posts
Can't see the point other than more noise.. it will not improve the performance of the car unless you actually find a dedicated one thats been built on a flow bench with proven flow.. the rest will be just tat for the boy racer..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't see the point other than more noise.. it will not improve the performance of the car unless you actually find a dedicated one thats been built on a flow bench with proven flow.. the rest will be just tat for the boy racer..

oh wow, nice of you to call me a boy racer sir. I will put whatever I want on my car, I don’t need you to call me any names thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
plus like phil said they won't do anything to improve performance so you're really throwing money away

Reactions: Phil48

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
oh wow, nice of you to call me a boy racer sir. I will put whatever I want on my car, I don’t need you to call me any names thank you very much.
If you showed more respect for people upon first approach, and read everything that person has said properly. You would realise that Phil is a long standing member here and he's helped many of people. He never said anything to offend you directly or indirectly.

If you want to put an induction filter on your car, go for it. Ram Air or piper Cross do the filters you are looking for. But as Phil mentioned, you will not benefit from installing an aftermarket induction filter aimed at the RS models. They just allow for more air, which in turn creates more whooshing sounds. If that's your style, go for it and enjoy.

Personally, I would suggest going for a MK4 trophy as they seem geared towards more of what your looking for.

·
Super mod..
30,096 Posts
I find the problem is the induction kit is aimed at the mass market and young people and gullible motorist who actually believe that these kits actually do something for the BHP of a car engine when all they actually do is create a noise.. car manufacturers go to great lengths to produce an airbox and filtration system that covers every eventuality such as noise and filtration while trying to keep it free from water.. in many cases the after market induction kit does none of this and in many cases the opposite .. now enter Carl Peter Hoffman who started by introducing the kit for the Fiat Cinquecento.. this kit has proven gains not a huge amount but still proven.. he went on to produce kits for more Fiats and Alfa Citroen and Ford all with proven gains.. he soon became very popular on many car forums but his demise and unpopularity came about some years later due to the fact that he overloaded himself with work and his delivery times became worse as time went on..in many ways he became a victim of his own success.. with my time at GRS as an unpaid helper it became untenable because I started to get flack through association.. and I eventually pulled the plug .. another draw back from some of his kits was the way the kit was positioned within the engine bay.. the kits has to take an obvious route because of engine layout while trying to get the best possible flow.. diameters are very important when it comes to flow and any restriction inhibits it making the kit not fit for purpose and just a show piece.. I never like the way some of his kits ended with the filter very close to the ground making them susceptible to Hydro locking but Peter wouldn't listen.. the crunch came when it happened on a stilo Abarth with disastrous results.. the original kit for the Stilo was developed using my car as a test car and gained 17 BHP on the 1.6 engine.. but I shorten the length of the tube at the filter end within a day if it being fitted and the mapping being done.. after this disaster with the Stilo Abarth he fell out with the Stilo community and his popularity in fiat and Alfa communities also flagged.. he eventually left his business and sold it to Torque7 I understand who carried on from where he left off.. some say Pete left the UK but nobody ever confirmed it.. I have had no contact now for may years but wish him well wherever he is..

Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive side marker light Automotive lighting

Car Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle

And me and Pete..

Car Motor vehicle Plant Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
152 Posts
To be honest I went off these induction kits some years ago so if you are in dusty climate I would suggest just changing the filter a bit more frequently.

·
Registered
27 Posts
They just allow for more air, which in turn creates more whooshing sounds. If that's your style, go for it and enjoy.
Remember back in the 70's when a friend and I both had 1/2 ton chevy pickups with 350ci 4barrel carb motors. By then the 350 had been detuned by smog regulations to only put out around 165hp. To try get some free HP we used to reverse the cover on the air cleaner assembly which left about 1 1/2'' of the top of the paper air cleaner uncovered.
Did it make an improvement? Maybe, just a hair, but it sure made a great whooshing sound when the 4 barrel kicked in!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Remember back in the 70's when a friend and I both had 1/2 ton chevy pickups with 350ci 4barrel carb motors. By then the 350 had been detuned by smog regulations to only put out around 165hp. To try get some free HP we used to reverse the cover on the air cleaner assembly which left about 1 1/2'' of the top of the paper air cleaner uncovered.
Did it make an improvement? Maybe, just a hair, but it sure made a great whooshing sound when the 4 barrel kicked in!
Yeah exactly my point Glen. When I see some solid evidence to backup these company claims, claiming to make HP gains. Then and only then, will I recommend them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts