Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody know if renault still own these names and if they do why they dont use them. I know Matra made the body panels for the mk 1 Espace but have not heard anything of them since. I dont think they have used Gordini's name since the end of the 70s
I think that Gordini's heritage must still be worth cash for renault (think of MG) it would bring a sence of history & engineering prowess when you bought your clio sport if it was badged as a clio gordini

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi, dont know about Gordini, but Matra are still about, they actually manufactured the Espace MK1, MK2 and Mk3 up to 1998, then Renault took it in house I believe, with only the body shells being done by Matra.
Easy to check the Oval plate on my MK2 Phase 3 said Matra and no mention of Renault at all, even some of the spares come in Matra plastic bags.

See Matra Automobile Engineering for more company info ... its all that French goverment mixie matchie stuff .... Matra, Desault (cruise missiles, fighter jets etc), Renault, PSA etc .... although I think Renault has a bit more autonomy than the rest.

Hope it helps :)

·
Premium Member
4,192 Posts
I don't know if Renault own the names as such but Matra built the Renault Avantime (when I say built I use the term losely!). They built the Espace up unitil the last facelift / new type. Infact many say that the pulling of the A'time was down to politics and not just poor sales.

I believe there was large G/ment investment in the Matra plant and then when Renault decided to make the Espace in house the Sh1t hit the fan. I'm sure others here know more of this story.

Hugh

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
I don't know if Renault own the names as such but Matra built the Renault Avantime (when I say built I use the term losely!). They built the Espace up unitil the last facelift / new type. Infact many say that the pulling of the A'time was down to politics and not just poor sales.

I believe there was large G/ment investment in the Matra plant and then when Renault decided to make the Espace in house the Sh1t hit the fan. I'm sure others here know more of this story.

Hugh

What was it they made .... The Sh1t or the Fan
:p

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
What was it they made .... The Sh1t or the Fan
:p
When we collected our brand new Matra built Espace in 1994, the salesman did his run through of the car, at the end he supplied us a really colourful yellow carrier bag with the Renault logo on it .... when this was queried, he said ...

"Oh, thats for the next few weeks, just collect all the bits that fall off, put them in the bag and we'll stick them back on again for you"

I kid you not .... so maybe Renault have always known that Matra did'nt put the cars together as well as the should :eek:

Oh, by the way we didnt need to use it :) .... not that many bits fell off.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
When we collected our brand new Matra built Espace in 1994, the salesman did his run through of the car, at the end he supplied us a really colourful yellow carrier bag with the Renault logo on it .... when this was queried, he said ...

"Oh, thats for the next few weeks, just collect all the bits that fall off, put them in the bag and we'll stick them back on again for you"

I kid you not .... so maybe Renault have always known that Matra did'nt put the cars together as well as the should :eek:

Oh, by the way we didnt need to use it :) .... not that many bits fell off.

Yeah after the sale eh not prior :p

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not sure Renault ever "owned" the Gordini name. Amedee Gordini was a tuner and racer in the 50's and 60's, and consulted with (or worked for) Renault to produce more performance with certain models, starting with the Dauphine. I have never heard of his passing, he may still be alive. Knowing the French, someone may be holding a grudge for the most insane of reasons, hence no Gordini models.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Not sure Renault ever "owned" the Gordini name.
Renault still own the 'Gordini' name, have recently bought the Alpine name for the UK (they already used it elsewhere) but never owned Matra.

Amedee Gordini died a few years back (late 70s IIRC) and Jean Redele (Mr Alpine) died this summer.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Maybe renault have sold the "Gordini" name or leased it - there is now a Gordini clothing range:confused:
Or maybe its the same idea as the Cortina - which is a place name

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Has any one heard of a 'baghera' i believe it is also a fibre glass body, with rear engine?

My 2001 espace is the last plastic body, the next model is steel and done by Renault.:)

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Has any one heard of a 'baghera' i believe it is also a fibre glass body, with rear engine?

My 2001 espace is the last plastic body, the next model is steel and done by Renault.:)
Is this the one you're talking about?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts