Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got to change the clutch on a friends Clio 1.8 RSI 1998 on Sunday. If anyones done one or knows anything about doing one please let me know.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just spoken to my mechanic and he says it will be a ***** of a job,most garages would book 5hours labour and thats with all their special equipment

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mechanic checked the book and apparentely it says 11hours and engine/box out,However it can be done in situ but still a ***** of a job

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Make sure you get the correct grade oil and specific ammount when topping it back up. These renault gearboxes are fickle.

Barry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just done one , not an easy job but well worth the effort took me a day but would av been much easier if i hadnt tried to completly remove the gearbox , just pull it as far over as it will go and theres enough room to do the clutch

·
Registered
17 Posts
I done this on a 1.6 MkII Clio and found the easiest way was to drop the sub frame, remove gear box & hay presto one clutch on fly wheel!

I wouldn’t recommend this to the novice or nervous though, but took me several hours to jack up, chock, dismantle/remove all components. Replacing the clutch was the easy bit then re-assemble all components another several hours.

Start to finish a good 2 days for the DIYer

Afterwards I was told that it is possible (with a squeeze) to leave the sub-frame in & pull it out through the top!!!!

Phil

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
You can just drop the nearside of the subframe down slightly and that gives you enough room to push the box back on to it and change the clutch.It is a bit of a faff trying to line the new clutch up,but it saves dropping the whole subframe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts