Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help - I have an overheating problem which to date has cost me a small fortune. The car has overheated once and I have changed the temp sensor / ECU as well as the thermostat. Now the water temp stays at the normal temp but the every now and then the temperature moves upto just before the RED - obviously at that point the car is stopped & allowed to cool down. Any thoughts anyone ??

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums Jonno R.

Do you get interior cabin heat OK are all heating vents working OK.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ottoman,
I believe all heating ducts are working will have to check what's your line of thought that one or more is blocked thus leading to the heat going up. We have driven it around with the AC on and the heating up high to try to get it to over heat but it does not. It is really an intermittant issue. Thanks Jonno

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi, is it actually overheating? or is it just the sender that intermittantly faulty or going open circuit, difficult to tell I know, but if its over heating check the expansion bottle cap, the auto valve may be jammed shut, plus if it is overheating youll get a VERY strong hot rubber smell (ooor eeer, titter yea not..

Hope it helps :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
have you flushed the radiator out just bouncing things off you
Hi, Thanks for you response- coolant replaced when the thermostat replaced, but rad not flushed this is a really intermittant fault if the rad was blocked surely it would overheat every time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, is it actually overheating? or is it just the sender that intermittantly faulty or going open circuit, difficult to tell I know, but if its over heating check the expansion bottle cap, the auto valve may be jammed shut, plus if it is overheating youll get a VERY strong hot rubber smell (ooor eeer, titter yea not..

Hope it helps :)
HI- Thanks for your response- The garage changed a sender first off and this made no difference then they changed the thermostat still no difference but what is really strange and leading me to believe that it is something electrical is that there has been no ooh err rubber smell or liquid loss so could it be the ECU. If so how many are there on this car ie which one do we change. Cheers

·
2,311 Posts
The Espace IV has 5 "ECU's" I believe, Main, heating/Climate, lighting, ABS, Injection.... there may be more, I'm not sure .... if your garage is using a fault code reader .... is it not showing anything?

Hope it helps:)

·
2,311 Posts
Just a thought, has your car had any electrical accessories fitted reciently (or arounf the time your problem started?).... it could be a CAN_BUS problem, esp if whoever fitted anything has just hacked into the loom, instead of tracing the CAN-BUS low wiring.

:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a thought, has your car had any electrical accessories fitted reciently (or arounf the time your problem started?).... it could be a CAN_BUS problem, esp if whoever fitted anything has just hacked into the loom, instead of tracing the CAN-BUS low wiring.

:)
Hi Nothing fitted recently, have it now booked in to Renault main agent for full diagnostic test so let's wait and see will keep you posted. Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Nothing fitted recently, have it now booked in to Renault main agent for full diagnostic test so let's wait and see will keep you posted. Cheers
Been a while since last posted on this one so thought I would share what the actual problem was. Main dealer said that one only part it could be would be the water pump. So agreed with them that if they took it out and it was not that they would pay otherwise I would pay. They took the pump out and stated that the pump was faulty. Duly paid the bill and asked for the part, on inspection I saw the the plastic impellor and cracked and so when under no load it would work normally but under load it would just spin cauling the engine to overheat. Phoned Renualt and spoke to their tech team and we agreed that this was a fault of their making and not wear and tear. Renault agreed to pay a substantial amount to the cost of that repair.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi.did you manage to sort the overheating problem, i have similar issue with grand espace race car overheats after 5 MINUTES then water tank is boiling and i have to release the steam pressure some water pours out and i refil and the cycle starts again. I did have a water leak so tried radstop problem has got worse since. I dont know if theres a blockage or if ive knackered the radiator.please help thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I'm no Espace expert (just looking because I am thinking of buying one). However, for @sungiggs -
If the thermostat has stuck closed the engine will quickly overheat. If the head gasket has failed the coolant level will be dropping with no obvious leak onto the floor. Both will cause overheating as described.

If the coolant level is not dropping, change the thermostat but take a sample of the old coolant for testing. With the new stat, fill with plain water and bleed the cooling system. If it overheats again you can assume it is more serious such as water pump. If its OK, drop some of the water and add antifreeze/coolant concentrate. Always make sure the system is properly bled of trapped air. There will be a procedure on the Espace.

If the coolant is old and dirty consider flushing the system. However if the radiator is old this might uncover hidden leaks that were about to blow out. So be prepared.

The sample of old coolant can be tested for exhaust gasses at any good garage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts