Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm looking for some ideas of what to try next...

Car in question is a 2004 Grand Scenic 1.9DCI Dynamique.

Went out last night to pick up a take away, the car unlocked fine but when I pressed the Start Button the dash went dead. Nothing showed on the display in the first instance.

Each time I try to start it something clicks (like something tripping out) under the black box to the right of the battery. All connections seem fine & fuses under the bonnet are intact.

Once in a while I can get the dash to come on but each time the same result happens :crazy:

The relay in the glovebox was clicking like mad and I initially thought this may be faulty & replaced it but it still won't start.

Now when I press the Start Button the red light on the dash briefly illuminates, it also does this when I press the keycard buttons. There's also alot of faint clicking which can be heard to the left of the glovebox.

Any light anyone can shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Pete

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
My car does exactly the same thing, but I'd hazard a guess it's not the battery because a previous owner has wired a button across the starter solenoid that's used to start the car... lol

Does it lock the keycard in when you press the button?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks andytvcams & ccpkmd,

Did quickly test the battery and read 12.39v but as in the past it only take one cell...

@ Azurael, not quite sure what you mean.
When I press the Start Button there's a click from under the bonnet & the display just dies. Central Locking won't work neither will the lights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My grand scenic 1.9Dci is doing the same thing.

Try to charge the battery, if it holds the charge then you need to look at what's draining it. You might need to get an ammeter, connect it in series with your battery after your engine has been off for 10 mins or so and disconnect fuses one by one until the current drain stops.

I've narrowed mine down to the consumer cut out circuit, which affects all the car's memory (radio, trip computer, clock ect).

My battery was draining a constant 1.5 amps until I removed the coupe conso (consumer cut out) fuse then it reduced to 100 milliamps. (0.1amp) with fuse out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ive had same problem on my 06 plate this morning and i worked out it was the steering lock not coming of so when i put keycard in i help lock come of by turning wheel cars started every time since.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Before condemning the battery check all its connections are clean and sound. Once the battery is charged up get it load tested and the alternator output checked. These checks are simple to do and won't cost much. Most decent battery suppliers (not your quick-fit outlets) will usually do both tests for free.:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies folks.

The car is currently at my parents 10 miles away and can't put it on their drive to take the battery off to charge :(

I'm back up there tomorrow so I'll try the battery tester & wiggle the steering lock, not sure how that would affect things but hey ho.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I substituted a known good battery, but wrong shape & as if by magic the Scenic lives again :d

The old battery is going to be hooked up to the Optimate & see what happens...

Thanks once again to everyone for their input.

Regards
Pete

1 - 10 of 10 Posts