Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I picked this up from another thread, but it happened to me today.
In the grand Scenic, the middle row of seats fold at the back rest, then the whole seat folds forward towards the driver and passenger seat, enabling a bigger load bay.
However, I've noticed that these seats do not fix in this position, and are just on the pivot point forward, so under acceleration, they fall back into their fixings, under the full weight of the seats - really heavily.
I've had it happen when I've been going to the tip, and it's not a big problem, but there are two points that crash back into their mounts - today I was moving a bike, and they crashed into in it, damaging the frame.
In the handbook, it suggests that you might need to move the front seats forward - to enable the middle seats to counter balence better, I presume. But I'm quite small, and I can hardly drive with them forward enough, so that's a dangerous an unpractical answer.
I know others have had this issue, comments would be appreciated...I worry that someone will put a dog in there - it's really dangerous.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
In my old Scenic II there were little handles underneath that operated catches which held the seats in the 'folded-up' position. The handles could be easily located because they had bright red rubber covers.

Surely the Scenic III has adopted the same feature?

If not, I agree that it's worth pointing out - it's a really dangerous design fault.

Andy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone else that had a II suggested this, and there isn't any handles on the III.
The instruction book only points towards you having to move the fron seats forward, so there is more weight forward - which would do the job, but like I say, I'm 5'9 and much futher forward and you couldn't drive.

I've emailed Renault, so will see. There's little point in asking the dealer, they seem to know very little about their cars anyway (new battery in mine, when the bluetooth was picking up my phone, tyre pressures wrong after a service, etc).
Hopefully Renault will respond - they've been very quick to help me with Carminet issues, but they're not directly their fault......

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to update this one, from other forums, I'm not the only one finding this a big issue!

Sometimes I think I'm being too picky on this issue, then I use the seats forward and they slam back down, and I get cross about it again!

I spoke with customer service today - they called me back, to be fair, I think they are very good. Although they tried to be sympathetic, I don't think they agree with me on this point, or didn't understand.
They advised that they had looked at a Scenic today, and couldn't replicate this issue. It's impossible not to in my view, but Renault customer services are far from difficult, so I thought it must be their understanding of the issue, or a problem with my car. They said they'd call my local dealership, and ask the service manager to call me back, so we could have a conversation about this, and I could show them what I meant.

The service manager from Renault Manchester called me back, and had tried this out in a couple of Scenics, and he confirms that indeed, he can see this issue happening, but hadn't had any reports of it being a problem! I'm not a difficult person, but I think it's dangerous! The manager told me he wasn't able to stop the seats from crashing back under acceleration, so it must be all Scenic III's, not just mine.

He told me that the last Scenic had a fixing point for them, which I've been told before, and previous ones had come with Bunjee cords, which sat under the seat, and fixed to the head rest when the seats were forward, stopping them crashing back down.
He's going to try this on Monday, and will call me to show me how to affix them, I presume he'll give me the cords.
Although I really appreciate the customer service involved here - it's very good - I think isn't agood solution for a new(ish) car.
But again, I find it difficult to beleive that hardly anyone else has reported it, worldwide.

I think all we can do it get it posted to as many forums as we can, so it'll attract more views.
i too have advised Watchdog, but I really don't think they'll pick it up until there is an interesting bit of damage done....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got a really good fix for this in another forum, so thought I'd complete this one.

So....you slide the middle seats all the way forward, then fold the back down, and the whole thing up, as per usual, and it balances properly and safely!
The act of pulling the seats forward makes the headrest part go into the footwell, weirdly, so the whole seat now rests forward, as opposed to teetering on the centre point! Way hay.

Bit disapointed that Renault Cust services didn't know. They even asked a design team! The handbook doesn't tell you, and the main dealer had no idea.

But at least it's fixed!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.