Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice on an issue I have. The electric handbrake in my Grand Scenic for the most part works perfectly fine. However, when the temperature goes below -3 the EHB will not disengage. Normally, I will rock the car back and forth in 1st and reverse gears, turn the engine off and back on and away she goes. Today however (it's -6) and she just refused to budge.

I have had this issue since I first bought the car in 2013 but it has only ever been cold enough for this to happen maybe 6 or 7 times.

I contacted my local Renault garage last year and was quoted a minimal £400 to have it fixed. Interestingly, when I called I said "I have an EHB fault" to which the man on the other end said "Is it a Scenic?" so I'm guessing it's a common issue.

Does anyone have a work around? If something gets frozen and stops the EHB from working properly is there something I can do to unfreeze it or prevent it from freezing in the first place.

It's currently just above 0 degrees now and I'm sure if I go outside the car will work fine but I need to be mobile tomorrow morning and it's predicted to be -5.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,682 Posts
Try

Park, operate dashboard manual handle to release EPB and hold (centre button and pull handle together)
Switch off.... EPB should not auto engage.
Leave in gear and or chock wheels.

If it does auto engage.
No feet on pedals, press and hold start button until dash lights up.
Manually release EPB from dash.
Press start button again to turn off dash.

Or for some reason which I never fathomed, if I stalled my Scenic, I could then turn off and remove card without EPB engaging (Was an accident, honest)

As for preventing, any water or damp anywhere in system can and will freeze, not a lot you can do.
Even if whole system stripped, cleaned and greased a puddle can undo the good work.
Even manual handbrakes can freeze in bad conditions.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
being a 2010 will be a electric motor on each rear caliper type EPB not the box type EPB underneath - so hopefully a good brake service and strip down and copper grease may fix, well within scope of a DIY or local indy garage. would be very suprised if both sides faulty at same time, more likely one is sticking.

·
23,682 Posts
being a 2010 will be a electric motor on each rear caliper type EPB not the box type EPB underneath - so hopefully a good brake service and strip down and copper grease may fix, well within scope of a DIY or local indy garage. would be very suprised if both sides faulty at same time, more likely one is sticking.
Agree to an extent and it won't be things like cables freezing or the equalizer mechanism.

But the car is still being parked with potentially wet pads, calipers and disc, then all clamped together and frozen.
Even a full service may not resolve that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply's!

Dancingdad - I'm going to try the things you mentioned. Just one thing, the first example - when you say "centre button and pull handle together" - what do you mean by centre button? Am I doing something other than pulling the manual release handle until it disengages?

Also, today when I went out just after posting my question the EHB disengaged no problem but when I got to my destination the handbrake refused to engage automatically or manually. I put it in first gear and turned the wheels towards the wall so if it did roll it would only be my car that was damaged. I got a red warning on the dashboard with loud beep. When I drove home the EHB disengaged and engaged properly. I'm worried that it's only getting worse!

Nexussone - DIY isn't a possibility for I am a complete moron when it comes to cars. Oil change and fluid top ups are the limits of my abilities. I've had the car into my local garage (the one I use for all my Grand Scenics' foibles) and they couldn't find anything wrong. I've also taken it back to the place where I bought the car and they also said they couldn't find a problem and to take it to a main Renault garage. It's interesting when you say "very suprised if both sides faulty at same time, more likely one is sticking" because when I try to get the car going when stuck it feels like it's raising up on one side.

I know I may have to bite the bullet and take it to the main dealer but it's over an hour away and, as I cant go without a car, I would have to hire one until the fault is fixed. It all adds up to a price I really cant afford right now. In the last 14 months I have had to have 3 tyres replaced: front bushes replaced; front suspension arms replaced; timing belt and water pump replaced and a new battery. The car is bleeding me dry.

Again, thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A wee update...

Just picked kids up from school and when I got home I tried your 2nd example Dancingdad but I couldn't get it to work. While messing around I noticed that when I pushed the manual release button instead of pulling I got a message saying to "press brake pedal". So, while pressing the manual release and with foot on brake the EHB disengaged and stayed off. I put the car in reverse, hopped out the car and used two large stones to chock wheels. I'll be honest, I had to look up "chock" as I had never heard that expression before.. shame on me!

Do you envision any issues with what I've done?

·
23,682 Posts
A wee update...

Just picked kids up from school and when I got home I tried your 2nd example Dancingdad but I couldn't get it to work. While messing around I noticed that when I pushed the manual release button instead of pulling I got a message saying to "press brake pedal". So, while pressing the manual release and with foot on brake the EHB disengaged and stayed off. I put the car in reverse, hopped out the car and used two large stones to chock wheels. I'll be honest, I had to look up "chock" as I had never heard that expression before.. shame on me!

Do you envision any issues with what I've done?
No problem at all with what you have done.

Apologies for not advising that method, later models have obviously changed from my knowledge, will make a note.

In colder countires it is normal for the system to be set up without automatic engagement, for precisely your problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your help Dancingdad!

I feel a bit foolish for not looking into this earlier. Could have saved myself some wasted time/late arrivals/worry.

I'm almost looking forward to seeing what happens in the morning. I think I'll invest in some proper wheel chocks now as I'm slightly concerned about taking the car out of gear to warm it up before travel. Not sure my big stones are entirely safe.

Take it easy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,

I got the warning light/signal telling me to engage parking brake which stopped after the auto door lock engaged. The light on the manual release button is off.

Why do you ask? Is there an issue?

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,761 Posts
Let me reword it then, are these the normal lights that are on, no lights to say you have an issue with the EPB

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi ours2012,

Sorry for the late reply but I never got the chance to get back on the PC.

Today when I drove off there was nothing but when I arrived at my destination warning lights did come on. After drooping the kids off and driving back home there was a STOP car warning along with a parking brake fault message. However, after going to the shop the warning lights went away and the EHB engaged/disengaged without an issue. I'm going to work in five minutes but because the temp is just above 0, I don't think there will be a problem.

Should I be overly worried about these warnings?

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,761 Posts
Not sure if its the same as the Vag group.
Though same design/principle of braking system

The plug that goes on the actual brake calliper motor, this suffers with a dirty connection.
Its take the plug off, and spray with a contact cleaner..

·
23,682 Posts
I think they are similar and cleaning plugs does no harm.

But I reckon what you are having is the brakes freezing up.
Stop, the system tries to apply, can't, so throws up the warnings.
As long as they clear, should be nothing to worry on.

However, when you stop in temperatures that could freeze them up, do the trick with manual release, foot on brake so they don't try.
Will reduce load and possible damage.

Sub zero temperatures and water, anything can freeze up.
From windows to locks, handbrakes and sliding doors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2011 1.5dci Renault grand scenic automatic.
When I put it into reverse the automatic handbrake don’t always release. But works find manually.
I have a fault code come up DTC0226F1
Implausibility, accelerator and brake pedal intermittent.

Can any help me on what exactly this is.

Many thanks.

·
Super Moderator
13,630 Posts
Simples. Reverse / Neutral switch on Gearbox.
Nags Coz it doesn't know when in gear.
Bet your Reverse lights don't work either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts