Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has a grand scenic 2010, only one wiper motor is working, the driver's side works ok but the pssenger side one will will move when the switch is moved, but it only moves one cycle and then stops.
Her wiper started to play and get locked together and go out of sync, I have checked both motors for water ingress but they are both ok, Is there a relay that controls the wipers to keep them in sync.

Flack

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,842 Posts
Not that I know of Flack, it is down to initial settings,,..
One arm above the other...
will try and find info, if no one has answered before hand,,
But normally, if one of the wiper motors has got a fault, it will not play fair, and will keep hitting the other arm....
Could end up needing the passenger side motor, or drilling the studs out and bending the copper strips ( if that is the fault) to make the wiper motor work again , then putting self tappers in, to hold both halves of the metal casing together..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that I know of Flack, it is down to initial settings,,..
One arm above the other...
will try and find info, if no one has answered before hand,,
But normally, if one of the wiper motors has got a fault, it will not play fair, and will keep hitting the other arm....
Could end up needing the passenger side motor, or drilling the studs out and bending the copper strips ( if that is the fault) to make the wiper motor work again , then putting self tappers in, to hold both halves of the metal casing together..
I have had both motors out and all connection are good, I have replaced the passenger side motor with a known good one and it still has the fault. The n/s motor does move but it will only move once then back to park then nothing.
I have at the moment left the drivers side wiper arm on only so she can at least drive and see through the screen if it rains. Is one motor a master and the other the slave, ie: is the drivers side the master and the fault is in that one ?.

Thanks for your help..

Flack

·
39,842 Posts
To initialise wiper motor, with ignition on, turn wiper stalk from 0 to 1 then 1 to 0, turn ignition off,,,
Now disconnect multi plug .....
Dont put the wiper arms on, as your initial settings will be different.
Reconnect your multiplug .
To initialise wiper motor, with ignition on, turn wiper stalk from 0 to 1 then 1 to 0, turn ignition off,,,
Now turn ignition on, and pull the stalk down, this will put the wiper motor in service position ( where you put it to change the blades) , in this position, now put your wiper arm on,.
Once done,, put switch into off position, wipers will return to normal position...
See if that sorts it...

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
2,868 Posts
Follow instructions on other threads to get to motors and clean out scuttles and check wiring connections. Clean scuttle each side and if necessary clean wiring connectors to motors.
Follow instructions to re initialise motor motors. If it works you're good to go, if not you may need to find a new motor like Flack.
Good luck buddy

·
39,842 Posts
Hi, my 2011 scenic has a similar problem to flacks am I right in thinking that the motors just needed initializing?
Your inbox is full (stored messages) have replied, but until you empty .. you wont see it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi did you manage sort the wiper issue im having the same issue with mine im thinking of buying a new motor for the passenger side but worried it won't fix the problem. Even though you think it would many thanks

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
1,622 Posts
Have you tried following Stuart's instructions?

Now disconnect multi plug .....
Dont put the wiper arms on, as your initial settings will be different.
Reconnect your multiplug .
Now turn ignition on, and pull the stalk down, this will put the wiper motor in service position ( where you put it to change the blades) , in this position, now put your wiper arm on,.
Once done,, put switch into off position, wipers will return to normal position...
See if that sorts it...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the reply ive tried this didn't do anything unless im doing it wrong not sure whats going on thanks for your reply

·
39,842 Posts
Checked you have power it the multiplug to the motor, if yes then motor...
If jumping on another thread,, then can you link me to your original,,
Sure someone on here stripped one of these motors down,,,
Its either on here or Ytube,,
But having a quick scan on tbay, its a straight forward motor..
Before I would invest silly amount of money the motor would be stripped, checked with an ohms meter ,, greased up and tried..
Sorry not had the opportunity to strip one down yet..
But have stripped lots of wiper motors, and all are basically the same..
On Renault its usually.... Two gears, One turning the spindle, one being turned by the motor,,,.
If the motor is fubar, well the brushes, unless you can buy these, then your doomed,,
But if you took the motor apart, and measured the brushes, if thats the fault..
GOT a funny feeling there is a man on here who will help..
Seized spindle will stop the motor turning,,
When the cover is off,,, mark both outer cogs to the outer casing with a permanent marker or tipex, paint.
Then these will go back in where you removed them from

My mechanical side kicks in when money is involved.. dont like spending money unless no choice :crying2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi I think I’ve the same problem. The driver wiper stops at vertical with the passenger one still moving then it comes back to lift and both clash.

What multi plug do you disconnect? Both plugs on the drivers and passenger motor? And where are the wiper arms positioned in the service position? Thanks

·
39,842 Posts
Service position, wipers are virtually touching the Sides of the windscreen as in straight up..
The multi plugs are the plugs that go on the motors, but wiper arm and the piece of plastic covering the wiper arms need to be taken off

1 - 20 of 35 Posts