Independent Renault Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had both motors out and all connection are good, I have replaced the passenger side motor with a known good one and it still has the fault. The n/s motor does move but it will only move once then back to park then nothing.
I have at the moment left the drivers side wiper arm on only so she can at least drive and see through the screen if it rains. Is one motor a master and the other the slave, ie: is the drivers side the master and the fault is in that one ?.

Thanks for your help..

Flack
Hi mate, Reading your thread I wondered if you can tell me how to initialise both wiper motors. Do you do it separately or both together.
Thanks Renato

·
Registered
4 Posts
Morning.

I have the exact same issue most have mentioned on this thread, but I’m struggling to initialise the motors.

I’ve got a keyless scenic 3, spent a couple hours yesterday struggling to even get the wipers to go into service mode let alone anything further.

After a couple of hours I managed to get them into service mode, but to do so I had to leave the car with key 5+meters away to fully lock and power down, then after a few mins walk up to the car with key in pocket, open the door (which automatically unlocks due to key in the vacinity) and then straight away put the wiper stalk down, and into service mode they go.

I was under the impression that “ignition on” meant having the keycard in the slot but when I do that the wipers just operate as normal (or rather, causes the fault to occur which people have mentioned, passenger side going straight up and staying there, driver side working or acting jerky).

Question from me which I hope someone can help me with, when I’m trying to initialise the motors, where the step says ignition off, do I need to fully leave the car to power down as mentioned above, or can I just walk away far enough for the car to lock and then come straight back over?

as soon as soon something goes wrong with my wife’s car she instantly wants to get shot, and this ones had a few issues crop up recently which is adding fuel to the fire, so I’m trying anything I can to sort this one myself so that the bills don’t rack up!

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,402 Posts
Manual or automatic
Manual
Ignition on = Insert card in the slot. No feet on pedals, hold start button until dash lights up
Might have to have a few attempts of releasing, and holding start button
Automatic
Ignition on = Insert card in slot. Put in Reverse, No feet on pedals after it's in Reverse.. Hold start button until dash lights up, again might take a few attempts

That will force after ignition on.
Now Put into service mode , and sort out wipers .

NOTE, you need to hit the starter button TWICE to force after ignition off .

ONCE everything is sorted
MAKE sure you start the car, and then switch it off as normal , THIS GUARANTEES after ignition is off

Try and leave the doors shut as you work on the wipers, Interior lights on the Scenic 3 can drain a battery in 20 minutes if not careful

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, it’s a manual. Will give it a go. The dash lights up without the card in the slot which is what’s throwing me, the car can start without card in slot too, and like I mentioned, with card in slot or even pressing start without it in the slot, the wipers wouldn’t go into service mode. The only way I could get service mode on the wipers was without putting the card into the slot or pressing start, really confusing me!
What is also odd is wipers are working fine today, it’s really intermittent.
Appreciate the advice, thank you.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,402 Posts
Yes Dash lights up, but only until you start the car is everything awake.
You need Forced after ignition on

·
Registered
4 Posts
@ours2012 legend. Going to give it a go now. Do wonder if it’s electrics elsewhere though as it does it without the wipers being on, eg earlier drove 10 mins. Wipers had been fine, they were turned off and mid drive at random the passenger one just went up and stayed up, driver side more or less working as normal, maybe not quite as much range.
Anyway, will try initialising now and failing that it’s headed to the garage. Many thanks again

·
Registered
4 Posts
No luck unfortunately! I must be doing something wrong somewhere but off to the garage it will go... they have a mind of their own, had them in service position for 10 mins and randomly the driver side starts wiping about 2 inches back and forth constantly, without my anywhere near the car. Thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you tried following Stuart's instructions?

To initialise wiper motor, with ignition on, turn wiper stalk from 0 to 1 then 1 to 0, turn ignition off,,,
Now disconnect multi plug .....
Dont put the wiper arms on, as your initial settings will be different.
Reconnect your multiplug .
To initialise wiper motor, with ignition on, turn wiper stalk from 0 to 1 then 1 to 0, turn ignition off,,,
Now turn ignition on, and pull the stalk down, this will put the wiper motor in service position ( where you put it to change the blades) , in this position, now put your wiper arm on,.
Once done,, put switch into off position, wipers will return to normal position...
See if that sorts it...
Was reading this, were is the multiplug on scenic, thank you

·
Premium Member
Renault Scenic 1.6 L 16V 2002 Petrol
16,098 Posts
Was reading this, were is the multiplug on scenic, thank you
look at the wiper motor and there is a black round thing that is the actual motor. by the side of that there is a black plastic connector that the cable connecting it goes into. That is the multiplug. it is a connector with a grey plug in it. There is a latch on the plug that will need pressing to release it. There are four wires in the plug.
look at this ebay page, you can see the plug with the wires cut off.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Service position, wipers are virtually touching the Sides of the windscreen as in straight up..
The multi plugs are the plugs that go on the motors, but wiper arm and the piece of plastic covering the wiper arms need to be taken off
Thank you for your help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all.

Just found this forum/thread while searching for online help with my 2009 Grand Scenic twin wiper motor faults.

I am about to purchase a pair of new motors from Renault main dealer ( secondhand ones a lot of money for a part that could only last minutes or days with no come back! )

Upon talking to main dealer to order them ( 2-3 week wait as on back order ) the parts person told me ( and confirmed with his colleague ) that the new ones won't work without being programmed/set up with ( Renault ? ) diagnostic gear. Does anyone know if this is true?

I see on here that several people have fitted replacements ( new and secondhand ) and no mention has been made about programming apart from the ignition on, off etc reset procedure.

Thanks in advance

Tiger

41 - 52 of 52 Posts