Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi All :smile2:
I have spent the better part of the last two days reading up almost everything here about electronic hand brake problems and solutions (a bit of change from my usual gardening and cooking).
All very informative but... first thing I realised - although I have intermittently faulty hand brake not once did I get any message/ warning/ notification of it on the dashboard . And thought it odd, as it seems that if anything problematic as little as "blinks" in those cars the dashboard lights up like a christmas tree.

Had my Grand Scenic 2005 for a couple of years now and got to even like it, but it just failed its MOT on electronic hand brake. ("Electronic parking brake control defective so that it cannot be satisfactorily operated")

Can not say I am surprised (though was hopeful) as problem started few weeks ago when I noticed that I can pull the break to set it on, but later have a problem releasing it (auto release which I just found out it should have, never worked on it since I had it).
It does release after few attempts but seems to be taking longer now. A couple of times, I think, it also took few attempts to set it on. I had avoided using it by parking on the flat and leaving it in gear (though have a pair of pliers handy just in case I need to do the "pull" in the boot).

So, despite clear faults no dashboard pop ups about it :confused:

Took it to the local garage (not Renault) where it was connected to two types of "testing devices" ("laptop" type with a blue tooth something, and a smaller one that needed a "key" thingy inserting to communicate with this particular car) only to show that neither can communicate with the electronic hand brake data and so can not get any fault numbers, codes ... Its as if the test device does not "see it" if you know what I mean, attempts to communicate but fails.

So, where do I go from here? How come other parts of the car can be "tested/checked" but this one is not "obtainable".

Any ideas, suggestions or solutions will be appreciated as, though I might consider a repair, it would be good to at least know where and what with to start instead of replacing the lot (costly no doubt). Would be a shame to send to the knackers yard what is otherwise a useful and comfortable mode of transport, if I can not afford the repairs .

That better DD?

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,747 Posts
Gawd, could you use normal text please, got RSI scrolling through that :grin2:

Am I correct in thinking that the handbrake operates okay when applying?
Both Manually and Automatically?
But problem occurs in releasing handbrake ?
Both Manually and Automatically ?

·
Super Moderator
13,569 Posts
Normal Size Resumed :x:x:x

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,480 Posts
Check the handbrake switch on the dash,,,,,,
Will the car start, with either clutch depressed or brake pedal pressed...
Ignore they are not able to communicate with the system, it must have power to it, as its able to release,,
DD should be able tell you what sensor/s is/are on the pedal, for the handbrake...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gawd, could you use normal text please, got RSI scrolling through that

Am I correct in thinking that the handbrake operates okay when applying?
Both Manually and Automatically?
But problem occurs in releasing handbrake ?
Both Manually and Automatically ?
It does not operate automatically at all, not that I know of or noticed such a miracle ;-) in past two years since I got the car.

Always operated it manually and was fine till lately.

Problem mostly when releasing handbrake manually (think few times it did not engage first time when pulled to apply but not persistant).

In the past had two single instances of it completely stuck when I had to resort to pulling emergency release in the boot last summer. Common denominator of both times though not sure if relevant - it happened on an unusualy hot day (over 30 degrees) after about an hour's driving (was in Europe on holidays). At those two times I hand applied the handbrake OK but was unable to releaseit. It did work fine (manually) since. Not had any resets of the handbrake after that - did not know I might needed any as it behaved.

Thanks for helping. and sorry about the font size :)

·
22,747 Posts
My first port of call would be to local scrap yard or ebay.
Get a replacement dashboard switch unit.

Apart from unit under back axle, which seems to be working okay, that is the only common bit between manual and auto operation (as far as I know)

Could be the position switch on clutch preventing the auto off operation but it should still automatically come on when you turn engine off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the battery? I managed to lose auto handbrake on function whilst messing on my Laguna,my fault i'm sure,it still released fine auto but didn't come on when I turned engine off,disconnected the battery and all is fine now.worth a five minute try if you have radio code etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check the handbrake switch on the dash,,,,,,
Will the car start, with either clutch depressed or brake pedal pressed...
Ignore they are not able to communicate with the system, it must have power to it, as its able to release,,
DD should be able tell you what sensor/s is/are on the pedal, for the handbrake...
OK thank you, checking the switch seems the first port of call.

Car starts without problems with clutch depressed. Not sure about the start with depressed brake as got into a habit of just using the clutch pedal (convenient, and I though better, just in case I missed that its in gear at the time) But will check if it starts with depressed brake pedal.

Not to worried about communication with the system as long as it works, and do not miss the lack of it, just thought fault finding might have been easier if it did communicate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Dancingdad

It sounds a sound advice and a good starting point. As long as I have an operational handbrake - even if only manually - I will be happy. If I could graduate to an auto it would be a bonus.
Also I never known it coming on automatically after turning the engine off.
An old habit of putting the handbrake on after parking just kicked in with this "new" old car and I never gave it a second thought nor expected that the car would do it for me ;-) Should have read the manual I suppose :eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you tried disconnecting the battery? I managed to lose auto handbrake on function whilst messing on my Laguna,my fault i'm sure,it still released fine auto but didn't come on when I turned engine off,disconnected the battery and all is fine now.worth a five minute try if you have radio code etc.
Had the car now for 2 years and never had the handbrake auto function working. Battery was replaced last summer - suppose this would count as a "disconnection" ? After that replacement the battery run down for some reason few times, after several days without driving, to the point where the car had to be jump started. Had that battery replaced since and new one seems to be holding the charge.
Still, disconnecting the battery again now probably would not hurt (??) - is it just the recovery of the auto function that it might help with?

·
Registered
29 Posts
On my Laguna it comes on when I turn engine off and auto releases when I set off,i'd imagine it should be the same on yours,it didn't until I disconnected the battery

·
22,747 Posts
I think you probably have two faults.
Auto operation. Which sounds long term and may need a little digging.
Manual operation. Which sounds recent and IMO likely to be the dashboard switch... after all, you are using it often and TBH, it is designed to sit in the dash and be used once in a blue moon.
For a few quid can get a second hand so worth trying.
This for instance but check it suits your vehicle.
As always caveat emptor, this is just the first that came up on a search.
renault scenic mk2 handbrake switch

The two faults may be tied together but don't hold your breath.

Alternative is find a local garage who has diagnostics which talk Renault.
Many do but ask them the question before agreeing to cost of diagnostics.
Or a main dealer :eek:
@ourkid.
I seem to remember that auto handbrake can be turned off with Clip.
Usual in cold climates so handbrake doesn't freeze on.
Could you confirm?
This could account for non auto operation and no error messages.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Unfortunately I can't,I did find a sequence using card to turn it on\off online but not on here,best advice I found here for swapping rear abs sensors on my car here involved discs off but not necessary,was same with heater fan.easy when approached with an engineering outlook.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all very much for your advice. Will be looking to start sorting it out with the handbrake switch replacement.
Do appreciate everyone's time and input :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts