Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, having a bit of trouble with the wipers on our family wagon! It's a 2010 Grand Scenic 1.4 TCE. No problems previously with the wipers - they were last used a couple of days ago when I washed the screen! Wipers are manual.

No fuses appear to be blown - I've checked the lot in the fun-to-access engine bay fusebox, and the two 40A ones under the dash. Is there anywhere else to look? The user manual isn't the most useful there.

The stalk works ok WRT the rear wiper and the front washer, but there's absolutely no movement from either front wiper in any position. The fact that it washes but doesn't then wipe as it usually would, makes me tend to think it's not the stalk, but without a wiring diagram I'm guessing at best.

The lack of rain recently, and the fact that both wipers have stopped simultaneously makes me think it's less likely to be the common issue with water ingress that I've found lots of reference to.

I've checked and it's getting 12v at the NS motor (black & red pins).

Can anyone suggest anything to try? Can the motor be tested by applying volts, or similarly is there something to look for on the other connector pins when it should be moving?

Thanks in advance for any help! I'll stick around - it's still a great car, just not my favourite right this minute!

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
4,392 Posts
The Scenic III wipers are a master/slave operation. If the master fails (which I think is the drivers side) then the other wiper will not work anyway as it is controlled by the master. Complex system. Quite a few threads on here, many of which end up with a new motor on the driver's side. Mine's a LHD so I am always wary about UK spec cars when discussing LH and RH differences.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That starts to make some sense - thank you! I'll concentrate my efforts on the RH motor then...

The threads I've found so far seem to refer to intermittent/slow/unsyncronised movement - not quite found a match yet!

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
2,311 Posts
Things do occasionally just go ping without warning. They're rare, and they usually lead you on a wild goose chase, but it does happen, Dare I say especially on Renaults.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Things do occasionally just go ping without warning. They're rare, and they usually lead you on a wild goose chase, but it does happen, Dare I say especially on Renaults.
I'll just have to remind myself that this is why they are good value...!

Any way of testing/confirming the problem? I'll pull the motor and have a look inside anyway (who could resist!) but I'm not all that keen on diagnosis by replacement...

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
2,311 Posts
I'll just have to remind myself that this is why they are good value...!

Any way of testing/confirming the problem? I'll pull the motor and have a look inside anyway (who could resist!) but I'm not all that keen on diagnosis by replacement...
Otherwise known as parts darts.
Not my dee-partment.

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
4,392 Posts
A bit disjointed but some useful stuff on here:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. T'other half needs to use it on Thursday, so I'll probably pull the OS motor on Fri and see if I can find anything out... If anyone has any ideas for testing it in the meantime, that'd be great. :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So...
The motor itself works fine with some volts applied, and the linkage moves as you'd hope. No sign of any water ingress either.

Really need to be able to test the circuit board, but I don't know what it needs in the way of a signal... Any clues, anyone?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Anyone know how to interpret VISU?!

Looks like the violet pin is the 'signal' input, but that would suggest there's a controller elsewhere which does the speed/intermittent wipe? Or the signal could be something more complex than on/off...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the absence of anything to go on as far as diagnosing the motor controller, I've given up and swapped in a used replacement. Not the most satisfying conclusion, but at least it now works. May be a false economy of course, but I couldn't face buying a new motor when there was a risk that the fault lay elsewhere...

FWIW I'm not convinced by the common explanation of water ingress as the cause - as above there's no evidence that my old motor had leaked, and IMO every chance that it was a duff component on the board. If I had more spare time, I'd investigate further!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, having a bit of trouble with the wipers on our family wagon! It's a 2010 Grand Scenic 1.4 TCE. No problems previously with the wipers - they were last used a couple of days ago when I washed the screen! Wipers are manual.

No fuses appear to be blown - I've checked the lot in the fun-to-access engine bay fusebox, and the two 40A ones under the dash. Is there anywhere else to look? The user manual isn't the most useful there.

The stalk works ok WRT the rear wiper and the front washer, but there's absolutely no movement from either front wiper in any position. The fact that it washes but doesn't then wipe as it usually would, makes me tend to think it's not the stalk, but without a wiring diagram I'm guessing at best.

The lack of rain recently, and the fact that both wipers have stopped simultaneously makes me think it's less likely to be the common issue with water ingress that I've found lots of reference to.

I've checked and it's getting 12v at the NS motor (black & red pins).

Can anyone suggest anything to try? Can the motor be tested by applying volts, or similarly is there something to look for on the other connector pins when it should be moving?

Thanks in advance for any help! I'll stick around - it's still a great car, just not my favourite right this minute!
Hi All. First time i've ever used a forum so please tell me where i'm going wrong. I have a 2010 1.5 diesel Grand Scenic. Problem is the wipers at the front didn't come on at all. The rear works ok as does the front water spray/cleaner. I tried them again about 10 mins later and they seemed to work. Basically sometimes they work sometimes they don't. Any ideas to what the fault is would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts