Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

After reading a myriad of posts I haven't found an answer to this question.

I want to change the rear brake discs and pads on a Grand Scenic MkIII 2012.

Is it possible to do that without buying a reset tool for the elec. handbrake, or is there a way to reset it?
Isn't it possible to wind the caliper back to it's initial position using a caliper retract tool like on other car models?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just replaced pads successfully without any special tools. Using pretty much the method in the last link.

I am not going to take credit for idea as i got it from here but am going to outline process again exactly the way i did at just for some clarity

Step 1 jack up car take off rear wheel leaving electronic handbrake in on position

Step 2 disconnect electric connector going to caliper. Slide back red plastic cover and press piece underneth Shove two spade connectors onto the two prongs with some wire from each

Step 3 apply two wires to a battery and either the motor will turn freely or not move. If it does not move then reverse polarity. (Swap wires between battery terminals) if it moves freely then continue untill the noise changes about 15 seconds

Step 4 unbolt caliper open bleeder. push back piston with g clamp. It goes in really easy. Put in new pads and rebolt caliper. Bleed brakes and fully depress brake pedal to make sure it piston is flush to pad and caliper tight. The disc will spin freely when the brake pedal is not depressed

Step 5 use the two wires again this time with opposite polarity to what rewound the motor. The caliper will tighten and then the movement will stop itself. the electronic handbrake will be back in the on position. Reconnect the electronic connector and for me after this the handbrake worked flawlessly and there was no need to adjust or set anything. I believe because the job started and ended with handbrake on then there was no need for re-adjustment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts