Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Ill try to give as much info as I can folk.
Grand Scenic 2005 1.6

Lost all electrics yesterday, where the dashboard was completely blank. It reappeared a couple of times but as soon as put card in and pressed start it cut out the electrics.
We replaced the battery and this solved the electric problem, starts first time but now will not tick over or idle, so at every junction it is having to be restarted, a real pain.
The windows, although they still open won't go right down on one click, and the radio is asking for a code.
Any help with solving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mick

·
Super Moderator
13,565 Posts
Answers in between original text.
Hi, Ill try to give as much info as I can folk.
Grand Scenic 2005 1.6
Lost all electrics yesterday, where the dashboard was completely blank. It reappeared a couple of times but as soon as put card in and pressed start it cut out the electrics.
We replaced the battery and this solved the electric problem, starts first time but now will not tick over or idle, so at every junction it is having to be restarted, a real pain.
How did you change the battery ? A procedure MUST be followed
The windows, although they still open won't go right down on one click,
Simples, take them down 2 or 3" Then go up, when they get to the top, hold switch for 10 secs. May need to do it a few times to get used to the procedure
and the radio is asking for a code.
Have you got the code, should be a card in the manual? Renault Forums DO NOT get involved with acquiring codes, but we CAN help you enter them, if answer is not in your handbook.
Any help with solving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mick
Going to change title to assist future searches

BTW Welcome

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, many thanks for the reply. A procedure? I didn't realise that. The previous batteries loss of power had cleared the electronics. Is there anything I can do to rectify the situation?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,565 Posts
Hi, many thanks for the reply. A procedure? I didn't realise that. The previous batteries loss of power had cleared the electronics. Is there anything I can do to rectify the situation?
Thanks
That's probably the problem.
Open Bonnet & Drivers window, remove keycard, Open & shut drivers door (as if you were getting out). Walk away, Check display has extinguished. Leave alone for at least five minutes. This is to ensure all computers have "gone to sleep". Disconnect Black Lead. Another 5 min wait. This bit is controversial, but do it anyway. Reach in through window & turn on sidelights.
Reconnect battery, wait a minute, then set to, resetting everything.
Start as normal. See if it's any better. Turn off lights.
While you do the waiting, have a good nose around to see if you dislodged anything, when you changed the battery.
Sudden connection / Disconnection can "spike" the computers, hence the procedure.
First time I did it, unknowing, I caused a park brake fault which took me 2 months to reset.
HTH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts