Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, the red pull strap that lifts up the rear seats in the boot of my scenic grand has come off in my hand. The seat is now stuck in the up position. Does anyone know how I can replace the pull strap? It is a 2009 model.
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. Thas happened to our grand scenic which is also an 09 plate. I've been googling looking for an answer. Have you had any luck?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, the red pull strap that lifts up the rear seats in the boot of my scenic grand has come off in my hand. The seat is now stuck in the up position. Does anyone know how I can replace the pull strap? It is a 2009 model.
Thanks
If you've not already sorted this ...

Are these the two back seats? Ours broke too, although they'd hardly been used.

Initially we used some pliers to reach into through the hole to grab the remainder of the strapping to operate the mechanism.

The back of the seats come off, if you take them off firmly but carefully, but you need to take your time aligning the back panel back on before you secure it in place.

You can just lift the back panel and pull the metal bar that releases the mechanism to put the seat up and down.

I bought a few metres of red one inch wide strapping from B&Q, almost identical to the strapping material that broke and made my own replacement straps (as both broke!). I made sure that when I made the replacement straps, that they were doubled up for strength throughout.

If you still have one strap on place, I would recommend lifting up both back panels and checking how it fits and works on the one which is still in place.

If anyone would like, I can post photos at some stage, or even make and send some replacement straps.

Good luck.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Initially we used some pliers to reach into through the hole to grab the remainder of the strapping to operate the mechanism.

The back of the seats come off, if you take them off firmly but carefully, but you need to take your time aligning the back panel back on before you secure it in place.

You can just lift the back panel and pull the metal bar that releases the mechanism to put the seat up and down.

I bought a few metres of red one inch wide strapping from B&Q, almost identical to the strapping material that broke and made my own replacement straps (as both broke!). I made sure that when I made the replacement straps, that they were doubled up for strength throughout.

If you still have one strap on place, I would recommend lifting up both back panels and checking how it fits and works on the one which is still in place.

If anyone would like, I can post photos at some stage, or even make and send some replacement straps.

Good luck.

Hope that helps.
Omg this has happened to me. please do send pics/instructions on how to fix this. husband said I was heavy handed lol. thanks

·
Tartan terrorist in a dress..
22,708 Posts
Omg this has happened to me. please do send pics/instructions on how to fix this. husband said I was heavy handed lol. thanks
Not a good idea posting your email on here as it can leave you open to all sorts of spam etc ...could ask to get a Pm with instructions

·
Registered
2 Posts
This happened to my Renault Grand Scenic 2009 as well. Those red straps seem to suffer from sunlight, becoming very brittle. If anyone has a service manual and could describe the proper repair procedure (i.e., how to get access to the bar the strap attaches to without damaging anything) I'd very much appreciate it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The back panel of the rear seats is attached to rods by three plastic clips all on the bottom half, and plastic hook things that hold the top half in place. Pulling on the bottom firmly pulls the clips loose, and it can then shift down so the hooks come out and the back panel comes off. The strap is not screwed in place, just threading properly, so it can be easily replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Both straps broke on my 2011 Grand Scenic III.
Tried to remove the back panels from the seats but I'm afraid to break them. Does anyone know how these panels are actually fitted on series III? Is it different from the previous model?

Would greatly appreciate any pictures or additional info.

Thanks,
Krister

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Both straps broke on my 2011 Grand Scenic III.
Tried to remove the back panels from the seats but I'm afraid to break them. Does anyone know how these panels are actually fitted on series III? Is it different from the previous model?

Would greatly appreciate any pictures or additional info.

Thanks,
Krister
Can't picture it. I have the same model. The back panels can be removed (velcro etc) but not necessary since the mechanism can be accessed from under the rear of the seat. Can you not raise the seat using the handles at the rear/side corners. Or slide your hand under the rear of the seat and move the bar. It's easy on mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, perhaps it would be possible to reach the mechanism from underneath, if you knew where it was located.
There are no handles on the sides in the third row as in the second.

Anyway, I yanked hard at the panel and it came off as someone had described earlier. The strap is just looped around a bar across that serves as the release so it's a fairly simple system. Why Renault didn't bother to double up on the strap for the whole length is just one other question when it comes to their engineering.

Here are some pictures in case anyone else has the same issue.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
OK. You didn't say third row... not all have these. I assumed you meant (regular) rear seats.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry, it was the original discussion of the thread so didn't think to mention that bit of information...
Is yours not a 7-seater? I didn't know they came in 5 seat configuration and I'm pretty sure they don't sell that version in Sweden (where I live).

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
My mistake. Yes the original thread was about row three although it got a bit confused. I'll have a closer look at mine tomorrow when it is light. Thanks for the photos. Yes mine is a 7-seater. Don't think all are.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Good luck.

Hope that helps.
I would just add to this that there are 3 strong plastic clips at the bottom o ce they have been released slide the back panel down not out.
It took me less than 10 minutes to repair... Cheers all

·
Registered
3 Posts
Go to pet shop and buy a dog or cat collar with the same red strapping and same width. Open the back of the rear seats carefully pulling from the bottom to get the clips loose. If you look carefully you will see the old strap looping from the seat inside, and attached to a bar nearest you. Note how it loops and then remove it. Take the new strap and cut it slightly longer than the old broken strap. Get the missus to sew a loop on each side and make sure the sewing is strongly stitched on each side to take the pulling tension. Now loop one end of the new strap through slot in seat and loop it around to the bar where the original strap was connected. Connect the loop end to the bar with a cable tie. You have new working straps !!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts