Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can you help please?

I have a Renault swan neck towbar fitted to my Grand Scenic (dealer fit, from new). However, I came to tow a caravan for the first time last weekend and found that the towbar is very low - measures 375mm to the centre of the ball with car unladen. It's so low that I'm sure my caravan jockey wheel will come a cropper on a cross channel ferry ramp or speed bump.

Now, most other cars I've seen have a towbar height of around 420-450mm. I've seen photos of other Scenics fitted with a Witter towbar, and the ball does appear to be much higher.

If you have a towbar fitted, I'd be really grateful if you'd be able to measure from the ground to the centre point of the towball for me - or even post a photo of it too.

This would be a huge help for me, as I'm banging my head against a brick wall at the moment. Thanks in advance. Andy.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi when the nose weight of the van goes on the cars towball how far is it pulling the car down you may have to put spring adjusters in my sister had to because she was hitting every speed bump on most sites but i have to say on my espace iam fine but iam that little higher i also think that swan necks tend to do this because of there posture:crazy: i hope this helps

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi when the nose weight of the van goes on the cars towball how far is it pulling the car down you may have to put spring adjusters in my sister had to because she was hitting every speed bump on most sites but i have to say on my espace iam fine but iam that little higher i also think that swan necks tend to do this because of there posture:crazy: i hope this helps
Thanks Donald - I'd planned to do that anyway, although the noseweight of the caravan doesn't seem to be too much of a problem. It's just that the towball is really low to start with!

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi i think thats the only way to go apart from changing towbar:crazy: i also had this problem on another car of mine years back with a swan neck they tend to site just that bit lower what i did was the jocky wheel that was on the van was quite large the wheel that was so i came down a size and this gave me that inch or 2 and also put the spring ajusters on to save that inch or 2 there aswell.Iam not a great lover of spring ajusters but you have to do what you have to do i hope this helps

G

·
0 Posts
Is there another set of holes on the bracket?

Our Modus had a 'bar fitted by the dealer when new and I had to ask them to move the swan neck to the other set of holes as it was to low.

Richard.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
450mm high

Hello, i have a 2004 Scenic which i had a Witter RN72Q detachable towbar fitted to. I have just measured the height form the ground, to the centre of the ball, it is 450mm. Hope this helps, regards Damian. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello, i have a 2004 Scenic which i had a Witter RN72Q detachable towbar fitted to. I have just measured the height form the ground, to the centre of the ball, it is 450mm. Hope this helps, regards Damian. :)

Damian, that is a HUGE help - thank you. I'm now confident that I won't be wasting my money getting it changed.

The next challenge will be to see if the Renault dealer accepts that the original was "not fit for purpose" and will pay for the replacement!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there another set of holes on the bracket?

Our Modus had a 'bar fitted by the dealer when new and I had to ask them to move the swan neck to the other set of holes as it was to low.

Richard.
Thanks for the suggestion, Richard - I've checked and unfortunately there is only one set of holes. Looks like it's a new towbar from Witter, which I now understand from others is at least 500mm higher than the Renault one.

G

·
0 Posts
The next challenge will be to see if the Renault dealer accepts that the original was "not fit for purpose" and will pay for the replacement!
This website (Towball Height) quotes From the Caravan clubs handbook page 640 (1999 / 2000 edition ) it says the coupling ball is 50 mm diameter and when measured from ground to ball centre should be between 350 and 420 mm (vehicle fully laden - but not with caravan attached) in accordance with BS AU 113c or ISO 1103.

I think Renault will only refund if it's below 350mm fully laden.

Just checked the Modus and it's about 380mm unladen, but it only tows a small trailer, so it's not a problem. (Don't think I'll be trying to tow a caravan with it - probably easier to tow the Modus with a caravan.:d

Richard

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thought you'd like to know the outcome - I now have a Witter towbar fitted, with an Al-ko ball - it is 470mm high (to centre of ball) with car unladen, so is perfect.

The best bit is that my Renault dealer paid for it! Thanks for all your help and advice.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Thought you'd like to know the outcome - I now have a Witter towbar fitted, with an Al-ko ball - it is 470mm high (to centre of ball) with car unladen, so is perfect.

The best bit is that my Renault dealer paid for it! Thanks for all your help and advice.
Great news Andy, Glad it all worked out well for you and you did not incur any expenses.

Regards

Ottoman
:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts