Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Aha....Nigel Mansell......a whinger out of the car,but an absolute 100% proper racer in it.His British GP victories were done in a different time,and until the last ones,on proper tracks.His victories in 86 and 87 were the best I've ever seen,and only he could have won them.His first ever win was at Brands Hatch in 85,although back then it was the European GP.My rose tinted glasses are working well.:rolleyes:

He should be Sir.Nigel Mansell.:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The win at Silverstone in '87 was one of the best races I have ever seen.The Williams-Honda was in a different league that year,and it was all about Mansell and Piquet.Although they were team mates,they openly disliked each other intensely,so that added further spice to an already hard fought championship.Silverstone was the fastest track on the calender with average lap speeds of 160mph.

Mansell had to change tyres due to a massive vibration,and was around 20 seconds behind Piquet will 20 laps left.Everyone thought that was it and 'Our Nige' would settle for second........he had other ideas though.The cars were trubocharged back then,and had a variable boost switch.Mansell turned it up to maximum and went after Piquet,setting something ridiculous like 18 lap records in the last 20 laps.He caught his rival,and overtook him in that famous 'dummy move' at the end of the Hanger Straight,and won the race.

Mansell has since admitted that for the last 2 laps,the fuel read out was in negative numbers,and as the fans invaded the track at the end the car came to a halt.Everyone thought that he had run out fuel,but when the engine was stripped down by Honda after the race,it was complete junk.The internals of the engine had completely melted.....

Only 'Our Nige' could have won that race,and the fans knew it.Piquet went off in a huff,but had the last laugh when Mansells world championship bid ended in the wall at Suzuka and Piquet was crowned 1987 Champion.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Italians loved Mansell when he drove for Ferrari he could charge from the back like no other, Possibly Senna was the best charging from behind but ruthless.

Great days, Great races fantastic suspense each race in those days.

Regards

Ottoman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts