Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi John i would like to take this opportunity to say what a great job you have done with the Scottish meet in the last 6 weeks the adverting for this was second to none and we could all learn from it,i think for any meet to be a success its organization at the highest standard and planing lots of weeks in advance for it, you have lifted the height if the bar so to speak for the next Area Co ordinator to jump over,i would also like to say sorry for not being there and for not being able to meet yourself and family but iam sure i will at some stage so all the very best from Donald.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Thanks Donald, BoneDavid too kind .

Only Paul, Turbo Jordo & their Family's attended , I put it down to the atrocious weather, It was fine and sunny when I left home but terrible at Loch Morlich for quite a while, I enjoyed myself and it was good to put faces to names albeit only 2.

It is really difficult getting people to attend the meets I'm not sure why ?.

But I am not disheartened and will try another trick or two for the next meet which I think should be held nearer the central belt to see what sort of response we get from that re attendance figures.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Well, although the numbers don't bear testimony to it - I thought it was a job well done - more power to both John and Donald.

Regarding the turnout at these events, I was mulling this over on the return journey, and the only point that sprung to mind was, perhaps the club needs to have a more localised presence, where there's a meeting each month in a pub/restaurant, just to get people involved at the 'grass roots'.

This would probably mean subdividing the region (which may not be a bad thing), and would hopefully mean that a greater affinity for club members to attend larger meetings and travel greater distances would then be the norm, rather than the exception.

I don't know - I may be completely off base, but I would appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Thanks,

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all its a another well planned meet but to be made a fool of iam also sure if the weather had been better more might of came,and for it to have been held in the central belt it might of also had a better turn out so you can blame me for the location as i thought this would be a great location for people to have a good day out, how wrong i was:( we will just have to strive to have a better turn out on the next meet.

Well done to all

S

·
0 Posts
Well done all. Shame about the weather! Don't be too disheartened - the first meet is always the most difficult...

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi Donald - don't kick yourself - if anything, I think it was me who suggested Aviemore, as I believed that the Scottish Region shouldn't just be for those in its centre.

Frankly, I don't think many members are minded to attend these meetings (I wish I knew why) - we are all approachable and receptive to criticism, so why such a small percentage make the effort, I can't say - maybe apathy? (I'm not including those who have commitments).

I'm just glad that the only out-of pocket expenses constitute our time & fuel - wouldn't it be terrible if we were hiring a location and/or incurring additional costs?

I'm a member of other owner clubs (for my other cars), and they have great attendance. If pressed, I would say that its because when you own something old and/or unusual, then you get a bit more passionate about showing it off - whereas for Renaults, people don't seem to have the same depth of feeling - these are mainstream cars, owned primarily by mainstream people. (We are the exceptions).

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Donald - don't kick yourself - if anything, I think it was me who suggested Aviemore, as I believed that the Scottish Region shouldn't just be for those in its centre.

Frankly, I don't think many members are minded to attend these meetings (I wish I knew why) - we are all approachable and receptive to criticism, so why such a small percentage make the effort, I can't say - maybe apathy? (I'm not including those who have commitments).

I'm just glad that the only out-of pocket expenses constitute our time & fuel - wouldn't it be terrible if we were hiring a location and/or incurring additional costs?

I'm a member of other owner clubs (for my other cars), and they have great attendance. If pressed, I would say that its because when you own something old and/or unusual, then you get a bit more passionate about showing it off - whereas for Renaults, people don't seem to have the same depth of feeling - these are mainstream cars, owned primarily by mainstream people. (We are the exceptions).

Well said Paul we will have to just pick a new member each meet until the numbers get better as they say Roma was not build in a day.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
No Donald I dont think the Location was wrong as normally Loch Morlich it's self is very busy but on the day it was quite. I think it was just a combination of things.

It was unfortunate that some members circumstances changed beyond their control, The weather conspired against us as well, I would not hesitate to use a similar location again.

We could try the Central belt next time purely to see what the response would be from that part of Scotland.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No Donald I dont think the Location was wrong as normally Loch Morlich it's self is very busy but on the day it was quite. I think it was just a combination of things.

It was unfortunate that some members circumstances changed beyond their control, The weather conspired against us as well, I would not hesitate to use a similar location again.

We could try the Central belt next time purely to see what the response would be from that part of Scotland.

Regards

Ottoman

Hi Otto the meet i did at stirling might of been that bit better if i had not advertised that we were going for a drive and then stopping for lunch after we all had a talk at the meeting place.This is only a thought but a simple meet and talk might be better because iam sure there are members that do not have a great deal of money for a day out like this,i know in life you have tight times when it comes to money and people just do not like to talk to other people about there lifes so may be a simple meet in the central belt for a talk would be the answer????.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hi Donald,

Yep I think the simpler the better but it needs to cater for every ones needs, Plenty space and other attractions so if the meet has a poor attendance then at least there is things to See and do for those attending.

My philosophy was if no one turned up well it was a day out for me and it is a very nice area and there is so much to do there.

Maybe this Forum is just not a meeting forum as other areas that have a large member base struggle to get any numbers at meets, But as Paul said it was with very little outlay and at least we did not have to absorb costs of bookings or other outlay.

Just as well we did not have a banner flying it would have looked very forlorn flying yesterday.

We need to put our thinking caps on and see what we can come up with for the next meet.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Donald,

Yep I think the simpler the better but it needs to cater for every ones needs, Plenty space and other attractions so if the meet has a poor attendance then at least there is things to See and do for those attending.

My philosophy was if no one turned up well it was a day out for me and it is a very nice area and there is so much to do there.

Maybe this Forum is just not a meeting forum as other areas that have a large member base struggle to get any numbers at meets, But as Paul said it was with very little outlay and at least we did not have to absorb costs of bookings or other outlay.

Just as well we did not have a banner flying it would have looked very forlorn flying yesterday.

We need to put our thinking caps on and see what we can come up with for the next meet.

Regards

Ottoman
Hi yes thats not a problem at all i would try and involve the members more this time as well because after all its for there benefit and there day out i would say if we try and get more involved maybe even giving them a task to do it might help to pull members closer for getting them to commit to the meet and attend

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
A possible venue?

Hi there lads, just something which occured to me was perhaps Strathclyde Country Park might be a good location. On a Sunday (especially) there is a good crowd of car enthusiasts (possible recruitment?), the general facilities are free and family friendly, plus, you can spend as much or as little as you like. There are wooded areas, a lake/beach as well as an indoor/outdoor fairground.

Another avenue for us to increase member numbers and attendance at meetings, may be to contact cruising forums (not the nudge,nudge,wink,wink variety), because we already have many younger drivers of modified cars on the forum - they are (because of the money/care lavished on their cars) probably the most enthusiastic segment for us to target.

I know its very soon after our last meeting - so its up to you how we proceed.

S

·
0 Posts
I wonder whether the site is just too general for this type of activity. At the end of the day, it's no CorsaBoys.net after all!

It seems a shame that so much enthusiasm is ploughed in to getting these meets arranged but on the day the attendance is really disappointing. It must be very disheartening for our co-ordinators

I'm not suggesting that we just give up on the idea, but maybe for now might I ask our co-ordinators to look at trying to see if you can get the regional forums a bit busier? That might help with future meet ups

As usual, use me in whatever way you see fit ;)

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Throwing tomatoes?? :crazy:

Anyhooos, i agree with selly's advice and agree it might be best to build on the regional forums a bit beforehand. Maybe we all have our own things going on within our own areas such as local links and information?

I would like to arrange another meet before the summer is out myself, but it seems people are hardly forthcoming in commiting to attending :confused:

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Yes I am looking to build on the Member base in Scotland over the coming weeks.

I will try and build more of a Scottish flavour within the Forums but in an inclusive way not excluding other regions of the Forums. The regional sections of the Forums get very few hits as I have tried various posts to gauge feedback but I must say the response has being very poor judging by the hits alone.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wonder whether the site is just too general for this type of activity. At the end of the day, it's no CorsaBoys.net after all!

It seems a shame that so much enthusiasm is ploughed in to getting these meets arranged but on the day the attendance is really disappointing. It must be very disheartening for our co-ordinators

I'm not suggesting that we just give up on the idea, but maybe for now might I ask our co-ordinators to look at trying to see if you can get the regional forums a bit busier? That might help with future meet ups

Hi sel i have in the last few weeks weather they have even bothered to do so i, i have stopped and had a conversations with people in my local area when at Tesco,Asda with Renaults owners all Lady's:d ;) some young boys to drop in on the forum but i think this is going to be a hit and miss iam going to have some cards done and leave them with my local motor factors and if they sell any parts to Renault owners to take a card i have one under my belt so to speak but still have to see the other local motor factors to see if this is ok i have also passed it about my local garage with the owners permission with no problem and if he works on Renaults telling them to try this forum out so iam hoping to get some hits back in around this area soon fingers XXXX

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Throwing tomatoes?? :crazy:

Anyhooos, i agree with selly's advice and agree it might be best to build on the regional forums a bit beforehand. Maybe we all have our own things going on within our own areas such as local links and information?

I would like to arrange another meet before the summer is out myself, but it seems people are hardly forthcoming in commiting to attending :confused:
Oh dear what is wrong with our sb today

1 - 20 of 54 Posts