Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i'm driving on concrete roads or those gritty surfaces you get on roundabouts i get a grinding/metallic sort of noise as if i'm running on the rim,it also happens when cornering,i checked my tyre pressures and they're ok,
can anyone help diagnose the possible problem

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
hi m8:) it sounds as if its a rear wheel bearing at fault, you can check this very easily by(jacking up and suporting the rear of the car, and spining the rear wheels,if you get a rough and vibrating noise then it is a bearing thats at fault)also check for free play in the bearing by holding the rear wheel and try move it from( left to right),and (up and down) if there is (any movement )in the wheel when your doing this this will also indacate a worn bearing, but to be 100% sure put on the hand brake and feel for play again, if thers none then its the bearing:)

hope this has helped and good luck :)

regards alex

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is it normal for a wheel bearing to fail at 23000 miles,reason i ask is i purch a warranty from reg vardy when i bought the car last year,i know renault will be difficult to persuade if it's premature wear,and my local dealer wants 40 quid just to check for the fault

1 - 5 of 5 Posts