Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Happens on left turns at around 10 to 15mph, 70% to full lock. No play in left wheel bearing. No uneven brake wear. CV boot in tacked. No oil or grease on or around steering components. No damage to alloy wheels. Lug nuts torqued to correct value and install sequence. No damage to tyre. Tyre pressure is correct. No play in steering rack (MOT passed a few months ago). Car hasn't received any damage or subjected to pot holes. Any advice?

MEGANE III 1.6 5 Door Hatch Petrol 2009.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Done
View attachment 179077
Have you checked all wheel bearings ?
I've checked both front bearings, but not the rear bearings. Rear bearings are less than a year old. I replaced them with the discs and pads.

The sound is definitely coming from the front. Oddly I don't always notice it.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
As you are turning close to full lock is the road-wheel fouling against anything?
The wheels aren't making contact with anything other than the road surface, even when the steering is at full lock.

Is it worth taking the calipers off, cleaning them up, greasing the pads and slider pins, pushing the pistons back, then reinstall everything?

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,257 Posts
Does it make the grinding noise every time or just occasionally? Any difference with cornering under braking or just rolling around the corner without brakes?

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Does it make the grinding noise every time or just occasionally? Any difference with cornering under braking or just rolling around the corner without brakes?
It makes the noise occasionally, probably because each corner is different, and it is more noticeable when braking. Less so when rolling around the corner, but it's still there.

Traveling straight and braking whilst travelling straight presents no issues. Turning right and braking whilst travelling right presents no issues.

·
9,257 Posts
The wheels aren't making contact with anything other than the road surface, even when the steering is at full lock.

Is it worth taking the calipers off, cleaning them up, greasing the pads and slider pins, pushing the pistons back, then reinstall everything?
Could be worth a try as it isn't much work and you are certain the noise is coming from that corner of the car. You might notice something on a second look around the area although you have checked things out already.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,760 Posts
Is it only when you brake going around a left hand bend ?

If so, given you seemed to have checked all else, I'm wondering if what you are hearing as grinding is actually the ABS kicking in on that wheel.
Which makes me think of looking at the reluctor ring and sensor for anything obvious.... note, I'm not sure if you have a reluctor ring (toothed cog on the hub) or a magnetic bearing to do the job.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could be worth a try as it isn't much work and you are certain the noise is coming from that corner of the car. You might notice something on a second look around the area although you have checked things out already.
I'll take another look to see if there is anything. I'll continue to consider removing the calipers and give it all a good service / clean.

I'm tempted to take the calipers off and clean/grease everything up and reinstall.

Is it only when you brake going around a left hand bend ?

If so, given you seemed to have checked all else, I'm wondering if what you are hearing as grinding is actually the ABS kicking in on that wheel.
Which makes me think of looking at the reluctor ring and sensor for anything obvious.... note, I'm not sure if you have a reluctor ring (toothed cog on the hub) or a magnetic bearing to do the job.
Interesting. However it does grind even when I don't use the brakes. I just notice it more when braking.

It's just a hard thing to test because every corner is different and I always seem to have traffic up my ****, even in so called empty parking lots.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Won't be ABS then.
Could be ESP (or whatever the traction control is called)
That you can turn off to prove a point.
True. I'd have to locate and remove the fuse for the EPS if the on board computer doesn't allow me to disable it. Normally the computer only ever mentioned EPS if you reconnect the battery.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, turns out you are correct and the switch is on the dash. I turned the traction off and took a turn. As soon as I turned, the computer turned traction control back on immediately so it messed up my testing.

Interestingly if I take sharp left turns in parking lots at the usual test speed, I don't get any grinding. It might all just be down to how different road surfaces feel. It's very hard to tell.

·
9,257 Posts
Interestingly if I take sharp left turns in parking lots at the usual test speed, I don't get any grinding. It might all just be down to how different road surfaces feel. It's very hard to tell.
And the left hand side of the road usually accumulates more debris such as small stones/chippings etc so more likely to get temporarily caught in the tread grooves until they are flung out again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts