Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Random Visitor
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a slight grinding noise at the front in slow speeds, apparantly in the last mot it turned up i had a slightly pitted brake disc, would this cause the noise??

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Hi Deano,
Could be a number of things causing the grinding noise, first things first though, get your wheels off and check the condition of your brake pads, chances are they've worn right down to the studs causing your grinding noise even when the brakes aren't applied, shoudl get worse though when you do! Start there and see how you go.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Sorry mate, head not on properly today! It's just dawned on me, could be your wheel bearings on the way out.
While your down there checking your brakes, before you loosen the wheel nuts, jack the car off the ground and grab the wheel top and bottom and give it a wiggle, if there is any play there chances are your bearings are shot. They should've picked this up on the MOT, but chances are they were fine then if the grinding noise has only started recently. Have you knocked any kerbs as that is the main cause of bearings going appart from normal wear and tear. A bit of advice though, check those brakes sooner rather than later, we don't want you ending up in a hedge or something.

·
Random Visitor
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
from the sounds of it its from my exhaust as reverse it rattles and then knocks/scrapes on speed bumps

·
Random Visitor
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
on further investigation ( 250 mile drive) ive discovered the noise is coming from the rear right wheel and it only grindes at slow speeds and in reverse. At motorway speed its seems fine

·
Random Visitor
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, car went into garage today and they found my exhaust was lose and was rubbing against the rear chassis and they noticed the front passenger side boot clamp? popped open at full lock and was spraying oil on my suspension

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Hi Deano, glad it wasn't you brakes or wheel bearings. What they prob mean by boot clamp is on your drive shaft you have a rubber cone alled a CV boot, all that sounds like that has happened in the clip going round it to hold it to the drive shaft has come away, so when your on full steering lock the boot separates from the shaft spraying grease every where, a simple fix, just a case of putting a new clip or cable tie round it to hold it in place. If the boot is self has split obviously looking at a new one (about a fiver) but it's a long job as they'll have to take the suspension appart to fit it.

·
Random Visitor
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Deano, glad it wasn't you brakes or wheel bearings. What they prob mean by boot clamp is on your drive shaft you have a rubber cone alled a CV boot, all that sounds like that has happened in the clip going round it to hold it to the drive shaft has come away, so when your on full steering lock the boot separates from the shaft spraying grease every where, a simple fix, just a case of putting a new clip or cable tie round it to hold it in place. If the boot is self has split obviously looking at a new one (about a fiver) but it's a long job as they'll have to take the suspension appart to fit it.
ah right cool, he's replacing the the whole boot then doing a an alignment when he's popped the suspension back in

·
Random Visitor
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just got back with the car, seems ok for now, as well as the above repairs they also put a new bracket on my exhaust as it was lose (after 2 months)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts