Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

Some time back I have aquired the above vehicle and overall, Im very happy with the vehicle. I however experience one negative aspect that allready costed me some mayor bucks and thats the very low ground clearance of my Scenic ( ie only 120 mm). In South africa the road infra structure is of a poor quality, road surface uneven, potholes, gravel roads at some places etc. In view of that , I already damaged the sump of my vehicle and had to replace it at great expense.

In SA the above vehicle is homoligated with 205/55/16 tyres. I have noted that the 2,0l petrol version is equiped with 205/60/16 tyres. The so called "Navigator" version ( not a 4x4) is equiped with 17/55/17 tyres.

I have considered various options to increase ground clearance on the vehicle, one of which is to go for larger rims and higher profiles. Question is: What is the maximum rim size that I can consider and till what profile can I increase ie 60 profile 65 profile? I know that the speedo will be out but my first priority is to avert a repition of the above unfortunate situation.

I was also considering to raise the body from the chassis but my local Renault outlet in SA discouraged me from going that route ( ie apparantly too complicated)

Thank you in advance for your positive contribution. Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards,

Danie

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Low profiles give a harsher ride. With poor roads go for higher profile on standard rims. Maximum size to give clearance on Scenic 11 is 205/65 x 16. The speedo will be more accurate due to 3-5% over read set by manufacturer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dear Cb3,

Thank you for your prompt and helpful response. In SA we unfortunatele dont have a size 205/65/16 available, yes I know its phatetic but thats the way it is. Can I perhaps consider a size215/65/16?

Regards,

Danie

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
The 215/65x16 may not have sufficient clearance from the body on full lock or when the suspension bottoms. Only other alternative is the 205/60 x 16 which gives only 10mm more ground clearance than the 205/55 x 16

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi there,

Me again. There is a possibilty that I can source the 205/65/16 tyre in SA. How much will the afore mentiuoned tyre size raise the hight of my car from the current 205/55/16 size ?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards,

Danie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts