Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello erveryone,

I've only just joined this amazing site and I really need some advise.

I got into my car after going to Asda (raining) and tried to start it the battery, handbreak lights and radio came on but the engine would not turn over no sounds at all. In the pased I have had to wiggle the - cable on the battery to get it started but when thats happend there no power at all. Anyway jump starting it worked ok got home and tried to start it again still the same. I've been told it could be the starter motor (I have no idea where that is!) or I guess it could be damp or the - and + cables on the battory need cleaning.

Please any advice would be grate....

Clio 1.4 RT 1995

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
I'm no expert but could by the infamous TDC sensor, tends to not start once you've gotten somewhere and the engine may still be warm. Do a search using the search facility above on TDC Sensor before spending money on starter motors etc ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the bonnet open I could here a clicking sound, when I tried it this morning I toke the + and - cable off the battory and cleaned them and sprayed them with wd40 and it started twice! but didnt sound normal though. Just rang a service centre and they siad it can't be the top dead centre as thats to do with timing it could be the car battory or the key barttory not turning of the imoblisor or the starter motor!?

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
YOU did not say wether it was turning over or not if not it could be a bad connection on the small wire that operates the starter soleoid had this on several cars in past can happen on any make
tink

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just got a new battory for it and for my key still the same, I have tried looking for my starter mortor but have no idea where it is...could be the wire thats lose as it did start this morning but dont know where it is

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
I might be wrong but you did mention rain and your problem has happened before, was it raining?

The sensor for the immobiliser is just under the roof Ariel which is prone to letting water in, the water will temporarily stop the immobiliser switching off, when this dries the immobiliser will switch off allowing you to start the car.

the jerk of push starting the car could have moved the water, if this is the problem it will be intermitant.

Plenty of threads on here for re-sealing the ariel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts