Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

For the last couple of days my handbrake light has been flickering on and off when I've been driving. The handbrake is not on (the lever/handle is fully down), and I'm sure I can't feel the handbrake on either. Thinking it might be the sensor (is there a sensor in a 21year old car?), I sprayed some compressed air down the edge of the handbrake... now the handbrake light is on all the time.

I've looked up for reasons in the handbook, and it suggests that it might be that there's not enough brake fluid in the system. But this would make the handbrake only come on when braking. Upon checking, the fluid level seems fine (unless I'm completely wrong about this)...the brake fluid level seems to be half way full... (I couldn't actually see a max/min markers, but it the fluid half filled the brakefluid 'tank' so I am guessing that it is half way full and probably okay?).

Has anyone had similar experiences? I'm just holding off from having to pay the Renault garage £50!

Thanks in advance.

James

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Th emaster cylinder will have a min and max mark but can be difficult to see espicially on older vehicles.

Try topping the fluid up until the cylinder is around 3/4 full and see what happens.

Failing that it may be the micro-switch at the lever has broken or come adrift so you'll need to remove the levr outer trim for furth investigation.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi madnoel10

I will top up and fingers crossed this will sort it out!
Otherwise, its to the Hayne manual!

Cheers for the advice
Best
james

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi ya.

I had the brake fluid topped up today and the handbrake light has gone off... so I am guessing that is was low... I'll keep an eye on the level to see if it's going down quickly...
hopefully not.

Thanks everyone for the advice

Best
James

1 - 4 of 4 Posts