21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,987 Posts
IF you Send me your complete VIN number
state if its a 6 speed manual box, or other
size of the engine
use the conversation section, to PM me
Will look at Global TIS and get the correct wiring diagram up.
WONT be back before 6 ish to look for you

Reactions: Epicurus

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Is there another light on the dash for brakes or is the handbrake light also the brake warning light?

Can you disconnect BOTH wires from the reservoir sensor AND release the handbrake.
Is the light still on?
IF yes
measure the voltage between the wire that went to the reservoir sensor, (the one which doesn't go to earth), and the chassis. What is that voltage?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Is there another light on the dash for brakes or is the handbrake light also the brake warning light?

Can you disconnect BOTH wires from the reservoir sensor AND release the handbrake.
Is the light still on?
IF yes
measure the voltage between the wire that went to the reservoir sensor, (the one which doesn't go to earth), and the chassis. What is that voltage?
I'm not home at the moment but checking a pic of wiring diagram on my phone I see that it's one light called "brake system warning light". Yes it stays lighting when both handbrake cable and reservoir are disconnected. I even cut the negative cable from reservoir as it was joined to an earth at the point where they are bolted to the chassis

I'll check that voltage as soon as I get back. My brain must be aging like the instrument cluster. I never took much notice of that before. Like I thought it said ....."handbrake light" or similar.

There is an abs light incase that makes any difference

Incidentally, can someone explain how removing a fuse .....disconnecting a circuit....causes a light to light up . Just trying to get my head around this but that's not important for now. I had trouble finding a video on it on Google . This thing makes me feel demented. I'm sure I would have fixed this when I was a few years younger. Anyway

Thanks!

·
38,987 Posts
young,
have been on my back all day on the side of a road
canny beat it man
thats what keeps you young

·
38,987 Posts
Aux belt on a Fiat 500
Yep 20 minute job, tensioner was tucked

So had to free that off,
Undershield the bolts sheared off
Aux belt was just like a ball of string
It was in tensioner so tensioner would not release
also had to get that out of alternator and back of AC clutch

Good job it was close to the garage, had to keep going back for different tools

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I'm not home at the moment but checking a pic of wiring diagram on my phone I see that it's one light called "brake system warning light". Yes it stays lighting when both handbrake cable and reservoir are disconnected. I even cut the negative cable from reservoir as it was joined to an earth at the point where they are bolted to the chassis

I'll check that voltage as soon as I get back. My brain must be aging like the instrument cluster. I never took much notice of that before. Like I thought it said ....."handbrake light" or similar.

There is an abs light incase that makes any difference

Incidentally, can someone explain how removing a fuse .....disconnecting a circuit....causes a light to light up . Just trying to get my head around this but that's not important for now. I had trouble finding a video on it on Google . This thing makes me feel demented. I'm sure I would have fixed this when I was a few years younger. Anyway

Thanks!
Is it also the warning light for brake pad wear?

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,497 Posts
It all depends on senses of switches......
ie, the handbrake switch is held open when the handbrake is on, makes when released. So disconnecting is fooling the system into thinking the handbrake is on.

I am not sure what sense the reservoir sensor would be.
My guess would be similar, ie making a circuit when the level is low.
But if reversed, disconnecting could be telling the vehicle that there is a fault.
Would need to spend five minutes with the switch and multimeter to check

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

No . The only sensors near the wheels are not near the brake pads. I suspect they are for measuring wheel speed only. I didn't get home from work early enough to check the other bits with multimeter. Will do those in morning .

(Thought I posted that last paragraph last night but not sure it went up)

So to summarize. The handbrake disconnects a cable that connects to earth........ when working normally that is . Right now Disconnecting the cable has no affect on the " handbrake light " (braking fault warning light according to Haynes)

The reservoir completes a circuit when fluid is low. Mine is working fine from what can be seen .
I tested an empty on and the two pins made an audible sound when touched. For what it's worth I found out today that the connector that connects the two cables to the reservoir was faulty. The negative earth cable side is broken inside and no continuity there from connector to the cable.

There is very low voltage from the second white cable on the same connector to the chassis.
That's the non earth cable that normally goes to the reservoir. It comes from the fuse box area of the van. I have a donor van to rip apart and find out its origins lol. Time is scarce these days unfortunately and this is what happens when you fall off a cliff after living on a slope for so long.
I have lost a fortune in days off work but mechanics in this area are of little use

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I could be barking up the wrong tree here but just to make absolutely sure, are you certain that the brake pads don't have wires on them that go to a plug near the calliper? My thinking being that the brake light fault may also be for the brake pads (you said Haynes describes it as brake fault)
(I think @ours2012 has possibly sent you a direct message, if I've understood post above, if so go to top right click on your E avatar, "conversations")

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,497 Posts
For what it's worth I found out today that the connector that connects the two cables to the reservoir was faulty. The negative earth cable side is broken inside and no continuity there from connector to the cable.
Given that, the sensor cannot be giving any signal.

The reservoir completes a circuit when fluid is low.
You sure?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
the one on the van in question it made no sound as the fluid level is fine. Not proof but it appears to be the case.
Would connecting a diagnostic device help at all?

All but one mechanic said it would be pointless
dont rip nothing apart

Have you replied to me yet
Yes . Short while ago

21 - 35 of 35 Posts