Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, whilst driving home in my Laguna 1 today, i found the brake pedal very had and almost no travel. Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause and also how to fix the problem?

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
It sounds as either the vaccum pump on the end of the head has given up the ghost,or the pipe that runs between it and the servo has split.

Either way it's a problem with the servo assistance somewhere.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Could be air in the brake lines or the brake booster has failed.
Definately not air in brake lines. This would cause soft spongey brake pedal.
It's either brake servo, vacume pump or pipe connecting pump to servo.
CHECK VACUME PUMP: this is the easist to check.
Remove pipe and start car. Place finger on pipe spud. You shuddering feel your finger getting sucked in. If not its goosed
CHECK VACUME PIPE: disconnect pipe from servo and reconnect to pump. Start engine and again use finger to check vacume.
If you got the same results as pump test and all is ok. Then the prob is on the servo.
If you got vacume on pump but not on pipe then prob in pipe
If you got no vacume on pump, prob in pump.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies. In an earlier post, i mentioned a hissing sound when accelerating and decelerating, this has now got louder and is pretty much all of the time. Is it possible that this could be as a result of the problem with the brakes. I'm gonna have a look at it all tomorrow and will let you all know how i get on.. :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, i've removed the vacuum hose from the pump, started the engine anput my finger on the spud?? At first it seemed to work and then nothing. I've done this a couple of times and it appears that the pump is dead. Is this easy to remove/replace???

·
Diamond dismember
221 Posts
Okay, i've removed the vacuum hose from the pump, started the engine anput my finger on the spud?? At first it seemed to work and then nothing. I've done this a couple of times and it appears that the pump is dead. Is this easy to remove/replace???
Shouldn't be too hard. The brake system will need bleeding afterwards, though, and that's the most difficult part of the process.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Shouldn't be too hard. The brake system will need bleeding afterwards, though, and that's the most difficult part of the process.
Dis regard this comment.
No need to touch brake pipes or bleeders.
Vac pump is held on with 3 torx. The size is either 40 or 45. It has been a while so can't remember exact size.
When fitting apply gasket dealer and line up shaft wit gear. When you remove it you will understand what I mean

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your help in this. The old pump took less than 2 minutes to remove :d, but the new one took ages to fit:(. Noticed that the old pump had some bits sheared of inside, not too pretty. Anyway, all seems fine now. It may be worth noting that our friends at Renault have changed the spec on these pumps as they now only have 2 bolts. as opposed to the 3 torx and 1 standard bolt. Only need to sort out the hissing noise which is apparently the turbo air intake which i may never find.......
Thanks again:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.