Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For as much as we love the summertime, it really has a downside - Hayfever. Both me and selwonk are suffering as usual with the pollen - sneezing, itchy eyes and throat, runny nose and wheezing, oh joy!

We have tried the shop bought tablets etc but they don't seem to help. So we're now wondering about this injection thats available on the NHS - anyone had it and did it work????

:confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Been suffering quite bad for the last few years now :(

Tried all the shop bought tablets, and ended up being prescribed some pretty strong tablets.

Last few days I've ended up taking the strong tablet in the morning followed by a couple of squirts of nasal spray and topping up with eye drops!! By lunch time today I'd also popped an over the counter tablet as I'm streaming from nose and eyes today :(

Have been back to my doctor 3 times in the last 2 years about this and all he's done is give me repeat prescriptions! No mention of the injection (although I hate needles, so not to bothered :rofl: )

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Ye, I would agree with Chris here also the honey has many other benefits, it can take a while to work tho but is well worth a try, no side effects either that can result from taking Antihistamines.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
I remember having this discussion on the forum last year and the year before. I also remember selly mentioning about honey - but i just can't find anyone that produces it locally to me :crazy:

I believe the injection is only good when given early on in the season and most doctors don't even advocate it (not sure if its money related or side effects) but i would have liked it myself. I'm using pretty much everything like Matt :(

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The honey seemed to have absolutely no effect last year. They sell honey at Heaton Park which was the most local we could find. I was eating it for weeks and weeks and weeks until I was basically sick to death of the stuff without any apparent improvement...

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
There is a new one a day tablet on the market called Grazax on presciption only.

Regards

Ottoman
Thanks Otto - just looked on the PIL and the active ingredient is not cetirizine or loratidine which means its new to the majority already available. Its most effective for those who suffer from grass pollen related hayfever.

Can't give you anymore rep points, i gotta spread it around :(

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Only cure I've found so far, is to sit in the car with the aircon working! The pollen filter works wonders :rofl:

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi what about a pollen nose and mouth mask used alot in the US and Asia it is supposed to work wonders if you do no mind wearing it:crazy: i wouldn't but if its that bad it might just do the job.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Thanks Otto - just looked on the PIL and the active ingredient is not cetirizine or loratidine which means its new to the majority already available. Its most effective for those who suffer from grass pollen related hayfever.

Can't give you anymore rep points, i gotta spread it around :(
It is a lozenge type pill that has a slow release and not that many side effects any medication has side effects, it is about £2 a day for treatment but cheaper than a lot off over the counter medications and in trials it seemed to be quite effective in treating long term sufferers, If your GP will prescribe it worth a try.

It is counter productive to take a cocktail of anti hay fever medications, But if it affects you to a level that causes discomfort anything is worth a try what works for one will not necessary work for another as the triggers are widespread.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Hi what about a pollen nose and mouth mask used alot in the US and Asia it is supposed to work wonders if you do no mind wearing it:crazy: i wouldn't but if its that bad it might just do the job.
I don't think thats the look i'm really going for ;)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
The nasel plugs are good my sister in law says has tryed them and are great thats her words not mine and thats if you do not mind any thing stuck up your nose but i guess if its that bad you would try most things and i beleive once you have have had them in for a while you get used to them:) NOT to Sure about that but hay if your that bad its worth a try

1 - 20 of 38 Posts