Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
we live in spain and have given our 18 year old son our1990 clio 1.2
he wants to go faster. theres a surprise!!!!
he said to me this morning and i quote "can you fit 1.7 turbo 142 bhp engine in clio for me".i think this would be a lot of work for me and a lot of money for him.
so what i want to know is would it be possible to fit a secondhand 16v head and bigger carb to this engine ?
or what about seconhand 1.6 or 1.8 carb engine from another renualt of this era??

thanks ****

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi,

Iam not sure about the head and and carb question but iam sure another member will help soon,

Now an engine transplant is not a problem but it ain't for the faint hearted and as long as you have the money the skills and tools to do the job i can see why it can't be done, ,i would also suspect there will be more to it than just buying the engine from the donor car and iam sure there will be lots of other things you will need like wiring loom? shafts? etc,

Like i said iam sure another member with more experience than myself might come along soon and give you some positive advice:),

Cheers all the best Donald

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure about the practicalities or legalities of this in Spain, but sticking nitrous on it might just be the most cost effective option.

Marty did it on a 1.2 8v Clio and got the 0-60 time down below 10 seconds.

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42833
i am not going to show him this reply.
nitrous is very "fast and furious" he would luv the idear.
second thoughts i have fire extinguisher in garage maybe if i bolt that in footwell he will think it is faster!!!!

i have seen mk1 clio 1.8 16v head on ebay any idear if it might fit 1.2??????

thanks ****

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
i am not going to show him this reply.
nitrous is very "fast and furious" he would luv the idear.
second thoughts i have fire extinguisher in garage maybe if i bolt that in footwell he will think it is faster!!!!

i have seen mk1 clio 1.8 16v head on ebay any idear if it might fit 1.2??????

thanks ****
:rofl: you cant beat a bit of nos:devil:

the 1.8 head will definately not fit on the 1.2 bottom end mate:(

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Before you start down the route of modifying the standard car, you might want to price insurance for a 1.2 which has been modified to a bigger engined car, compared with the insurance for a bigger-engined car as standard.

Bearing in mind the costs involved in converting, plus the time he'll be without a set of wheels, and it might just be the better route to follow.

Don't know about swapping the heads over (I guess you mean like Ford tuners do with a Zetec head onto a CVH bottom end to create a ZVH?). I'd believe it would place a lot of strain on the bottom end (con-rods & crank) IMO.

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
i agree it may be cheaper to buy a quicker car. maybe a small car with a large turbo diesel, and before you mock me, check insurance prices for the diesel and petrol equivelents.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In spain insurance is very different to uk so cost is not such an issue.
The car is on uk plates but left hand drive. So if we mod the car first before we change it on to spanish plates it will just registered has 1.6 or 1.8 or whatever engine we can fit.
it looks like the 16v head is out so are there any other bigger engines we can fit ??

thanks ****

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
In spain insurance is very different to uk so cost is not such an issue.
The car is on uk plates but left hand drive. So if we mod the car first before we change it on to spanish plates it will just registered has 1.6 or 1.8 or whatever engine we can fit.
it looks like the 16v head is out so are there any other bigger engines we can fit ??

thanks ****
If your really set on changing the engine to a bigger one, try and get hold of another clio with a larger engine (acident dammaged, mot faliure etc etc) to use as a donor car, that way you will have everything you need to do it:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts