Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if I've posted this in the right place or not but if a head gasket blows how much of a problem is this.

Obviously it needs fixing but I have the following questions:-

If the head gasket blows and is replaced is it likely any other parts are affected?

If the head gasket has been replaced on a car is it best to avoid purchasing that car or is it ok and just something to be aware of?

I'm looking to get a new car but this seems to be a common problem with cars - they've had a new head gasket. I guess I'm asking for advice on whether or not these type of cars are ok to buy (they vary in models).

·
Registered
92 Posts
There's no reason why you shouldn't go for a car because it's had the head gasket replaced in the past, as long as it's been done properly. When I say properly I mean, the head has been skimmed, the coolant and oil has been changed and the entire coolant system has been flushed. Of course, if the head went in a big way then there could be problems with bearings and other things as when a gasket goes, the coolant mixes with the oil and the engine doesn't get the lubrication it needs

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
It's not the replacement head gasket that would worry me - it's why it went in the first place would be my concern (overheating, etc). If the underlying prob hasn't been solved it could happen again. It should also be considered that cylinder heads on some cars should not be skimmed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Firstly whay car is it, Secondly the biggest problem with head gasket failure is that it normally isn't noticed till a car overheats, this car warp the head and cause other problems, If the job has been done by an honest, competant mechanic there will be no problems. The only other thing is that as said before if there was an underlying cause that needs to be rectified to or it will happen again. Look for a bill for water pump aswell or stat. Hope this helps

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Firstly whay car is it, Secondly the biggest problem with head gasket failure is that it normally isn't noticed till a car overheats, this car warp the head and cause other problems, If the job has been done by an honest, competant mechanic there will be no problems. The only other thing is that as said before if there was an underlying cause that needs to be rectified to or it will happen again. Look for a bill for water pump aswell or stat. Hope this helps

Good point Ballo - maybe even a radiator, radiator fan, the list is endless. Could have been thrashed by a boy racer or car thief (I refuse to call them joy riders). In my opinion if you can't find the reason why - just walk away - plenty of good we cars out there

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts

I can only agree on all the above points, If it was repaired recently maybe thats why they want rid of it a fault still there mm, Yes there is millions of cars out there if in doubt walk away ....

Regards

Ottoman

1 - 6 of 6 Posts