Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I was changing the discs and pads on my car at work the other day,I also had a look at the offside front headlamp aim.When parking up against our wall at home in the dark,the headlight didn't have the correct beam pattern,so I decided to have a look in our beam setter that we use for checking aims for the MOT.I discovered that some muppet had put the bulb in upside-down,and when they tried to force the holding clip in,they had broken the lower pivot for the lense.:steam:.I sorted the pattern out by putting the bulb in the right way,but the aim was way too high due to the damage to the pivot and it was blinding people coming the other way at night.Rather than buy another light,I repaired the damage,and to do this I had to remove the headlight.

Firstly,open the bonnet and locate the five T30 torx headed bolts in the front grille.Three are easy to see and undo,but there are 2 hidden under the grille in the gap between it and the bumper(marked in yellow arrows in the picture).To undo these,you'll need a long T30 screwdriver or a socket with a long extension.

Now comes the tricky part!.There are two T20 headed screws in each corner of the grille where it meets the front wings.These are hidden under the painted part of the grille,which needs to unclipped to expose them.I only undid one side as I could pull the grille out far enough to get the headlight out without undoing the other side.

You need to be very careful when unclipping the two sections of the grille as the plastic is of a typical French quality....i.e very brittle and easy to snap.:eek:

Once the T20 screw is removed,the complete grille should be loose and you can then gently pull it out of the way of the lower headlight mounting nut.There is a 10mm bolt in the top of the headlight and a 10mm nut under the light.Remove these,unplug the two connectors and the light should be free....

In the picture below,you can see where the pivot had broken(marked in yellow).You can also see the headlamp aim adjuster(marked in yellow).This is what moves the lense up and down when you turn the dial in the dashboard.It has an electric motor in it which moves an arm in and out,and moves the lense inside the light to raise or lower the aim.To manually adjust them,you just turn the white plastic nut on the top of the adjuster.It's worth having the aims checked if you remove a headlight of change a bulb.Any MOT station can check the correct alignment and it should only take a matter of a couple of minutes to do.:)

All I did was apply some glue around the broken pivot,hold with a pair of pliers for a few minutes,allowed the glue to 'go off' and that was it,Roberts your mothers brother.:)

In the best Haynes manual tradition,re-fitting is the reverse procedure!.I'll adjust the aim to make sure it's spot on at work tomorrow,and thats one less thing it'll fail it's impending MOT test on.:).

The moral of this story is,no matter what headlight main or dipped beam bulbs your car has(H1,H4 or H7),they will only fit in one way!.If you have to force the clips that hold the bulb in at all,then the bulb is not fitted correctly.Not only will this effect the beam image,you risk damaging the headlight.

Hope this is usefull to someone.:)

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Well done Laggy, another great post with the Laggy Photoshot system working superbly, but I have to spread it around ;)
Regards Leroy
PS Down in Poole at the end of August for 3 Days
PPS On second thoughts I have managed to give you some

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks chaps!:)

PM me nearer the time Leroy and we'll try and arrange a get together!.:)

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Quick one if you are still around Laggy, the lump of alloy at the front of our engines over which the ignition coil leads pass always look really grungy, is there an easy way to remove them so as to brill them up a bit or is this a bit tricky?
Regards Leroy

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never looked to be honest!.

I'll have a look tomorrow and get back to you,Leroy.:)

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Thanks Mate :d I have a feeling it could be tricky:rolleyes
Regards Leroy

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Great Lag iam sorry no sweets i have to spread them around you have had to much from me:d cheers Donald

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
This came in very handy today as I needed to remove the grill to get to my cooling fans. I would never have figured out there was the two torx screws under the head lamps. It also surprised me that those screws were clipped into place enabling me to put them back in again, most other 'difficult to get to' screws I have come across recently need some sort of degree in geophysics and contorsion training to get them back into their holes again.

Cheers Lag, invaluable:) .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been following these instructions but can't seem to find the 2 screws under the lights. I've had a torch shining light and all I can't seem to see torx screws.

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Hello and welcome Leo :)

You won't see them even by shining a torch :( If you have a look at the grill under the headlights you should see an arch shaped hole. The screws are located about 4/5 inches through that hole. They're a bit of a bugger to get to but if you persevere you'll get there :d

·
Registered
4 Posts
i think i got this problem i changed my bulbs earlier and when i clipped the bulb back in i noticed the silver part inside the headlight was moving around would this be the same problem or summin else because my beam pattern is totally out on full beam im flashing at planes lol and when i try to adjust them it dont even move them plz plz help :crazy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts