Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlights suddenly went out whilst driving on Saturday night. I still have side lights and main beam. The bulbs were changed at MOT in November so unlikely to be that. Checked all fuses but seem to be ok. Anyone any suggestions and confirm which fuse covers headlights and whart size the fuse shoild be??

Thank you

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
Can this be a problem on the Lag 2?
I went to use dip last night and have the same problem - everything else is fine, including the green dip warning light on the dash....:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
Can this be a problem on the Lag 2?
I went to use dip last night and have the same problem - everything else is fine, including the green dip warning light on the dash....:confused:
Everything fine now - like Judgedread, I recently changed my bulbs so did not suspect them.I just checked and both bulbs have blown, so have renewed them.
I just wonder why both bulbs would have blown at the same time.....

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Headlamp bulbs

Hi Nick - when you fitted the new bulbs did make sure you did not touch them with your hands - if so this will make them blow very quickly (its all about the salts on yor skin). When buying replacement bulbs I alawys try to get the ones in sealed boxes - that way you can be fairly certain no-oe has been there before you. If in doubt you should clean them with either meths, surgical spirit or something similar. Its best to use paper tissues and discard it afer cleaning each bulb as you can easiy transfer dirt from one bulb to another. One other remote possibility is that the alternator is pushing out a higher voltage than usual.

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
Yes Noel, I always take care when changing bulbs, so I don't think that's the issue.
You might have hit the nail on the head, re alternator - in retrospect the night they blew, I inserted the card, pressed the start button and in the time lag between the button being depressed and the starter kicking in I switched the lights on.
I probably spiked the electrical system causing the bulbs to blow before the system stabilised.
Thanks...:beer:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Or.....one bulb had already blown and you hadn't noticed it.....then the other went,and it plunged you into darkness.

What bulbs did you use and where did they come from?.I'll write my answer down on a piece of paper and see if it matches yours.......;)

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Headlamp Bulbs

Hi- Nick As you say headlight bulbs could have blown as a result of a spike but did it affect any other bulbs? Theoretically this shouldn’t be able to happen as I’m fairly sure many drivers have carried out similar actions without problems. I recommend you get the alternator out checked just in case or it may be more than a few bulbs you’ll have to replace. I noticed you bought the bulbs on Ebay. I don’t know about your postie but ours is kinda rough when delivering parcels – it s possible the bulb filaments had a rough ride during their journey. Keep us posted and God Luck

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hi Lag..
I check all lights regularly and they were working the night before. (Besides the safety issues, having a defective light is tantamount to getting a pull at night etc ..)
I bought them from Ebay - eBay.co.uk: H1 H3 HB3 9005 HB4 9006 H4 H7 HID LOOK XENON GAS BULBS (item 190091551754 end time 12-Mar-07 09:05:13 GMT)
What does your piece of paper say matey?
Ebay....:eek:

I know that sounds like bull,but I have heard so many stories about people buying bulbs from there and having problems with them,especailly anything that mentions 'Xenon','Ultra Bright' or anything similar.

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
Once bitten, twice shy...
Thanks for the advice!!
Anyway, I seem to have hijacked this thread - how did you get on Judge??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts