Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone please tell me how i get to the heater matrix on a 98 S RN scenic please because it is so bloody cold in the car without the heater working (photos will be a BIG BIG help)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think it might be broke the heater only blows cold air i have changed the thermostat so it's not that i have got a fealing that the person who had the car last did a bodge job on it as the was silicone round thermostat and clips have been broke off on the pipes going throught the bulk head

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ah I see. If the previous owner used some kind of sealant as a gasket then there's a chance the matrix could be blocked. Have you tried flushing the entire cooling system? If not try that, especially the pipes going into the matrix through the bulk head. Also, did you bleed the system properly after you installed the new thermostat? You may have an air lock, that would be another reason why you're not getting any hot air through the blowers. Where does the needle sit on the temp gauge when it running?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
the matrix i think was blocked so i flushed it out until the water run clear both ways now the heater isn't stone cold but it's also not even warm. The temp gauge sits in the middle. Should the expantion tank lid hiss and with regards to bleeding the system this means undoing the little bolt thing in the pipe until bubbles stop coming out while the car is ticking over and at temp so thermostat is opening is that right.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
brett try doing the bleeding with the car cold first thing in themorning when you goto the car before you do any thing just open the bonnet and turn the blled valve until water comes out (i did this every day plus ran a very very strong anti freeze mix which helps de clog the coolant system ) after a few days the heater was fine infact its too hot now !
good luck and let us know how you get on thanks .

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
The cap on the expansion is supposed to hiss as it has two valves - one to let excess pressure out and one to let air in when required. Both valves operate at predetermined pressures and are not adjustable. As suggested start the engine from cold with the expansion cap off (this allows excess air to escape unhindered) - open all the bleed valves until you get a steady uninterrupted flow. During this process keep topping up the expansion bottle as necessary. Once the engine starts to warm up and there are no more signs of air replace the cap securely. If :) all is well you've succeeded but it's wise to check it on a daily basis for the following few days.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
how may bleed valves is there as i can only see one which is on one of the pipes that run into the bulk head and by open do you mean take the bolt totaly out or just slighty out

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Without looking at your car I can't really say - and it seems to vary from model to model. There may be bleed valves a the following points.
1. Heater hose as you describe.
2. Top radiator hose
3. Top of radiator
Remove the bolt fully when filling (fill very slowly as this allows time for the any trapped air to escape). Replace the bolt - start engine and then slacken the bolt a few turns whilst it's running. Take care and don't get scalded. Hope this helps. Keep us posted of your prgress or lack thereof.:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have just filled the expansion tank back up to full and took the car out and for some reason it now works oh yeah next is an oil change is there any tips on this

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Go to a local motor factors and buy a fairly decent oil that suits your engine - also change the oil filter while your at it (no point otherwise the new oil will just absorb the contaminants trapped in the old filter) - if you look in the service book it will specify which type. Have you got tools to suit the oil plug as renaults tend to have an internal hexagon plug. It is also recommended to replace the sump plug washer.:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just one more thing when the engine is cold there is loads of smoke coming out of the exaust but this stops when it gets warm any idea what that could be the smoke is white by the way

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i'd say it was smoke as it smells it's thick and when starting the engine from cold there really is loads of it you can't see out of back window

1 - 16 of 16 Posts