Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks so much to the both of you my front passenger window is now WORKING! :d

I came home from work last night and had a blast at fixing it before the rain started again. Thankfully the rain stayed off for a few hours and all is sorted.

Without this fantastic forum and great people like yourselves who take the time and energy to help people I would never have had a clue where to start!

For me the hardest part of the whole job is getting the actual door panel clipped back on where those big plastic clips join onto the metal parts. This is where I asked the wife for a helping hand and she was more than good. She more or less got them on herself lol.

When I took the panel off I could see Renault had actually disconnected the regulator from the main connection so it was never going to start working on its own again.

I used these pictures and instructions

http://sites.google.com/site/proluxelectronics/how-to

as well as great advice from HeatherJ and darokane. I could never have did it without you both.

My regualor was slightly different than HeatherJ's as it is a 2007 model so I also used these pitctures and instructions.

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=81895&highlight=window+reset&page=6

All I did was take the regulator apart and spray the chip board with Maplin Electronic Solvent Cleaner. I couldnt actually take the chip board out so I just sprayed a lot inside and allowed it to drain off. I also sprayed the connectors and sealed around the inside of the lid as well as putting a large quantity of silicone sealent around the area where the foam sealent used to be. See the pictures in the last link above. I actually didnt even have a foam sealent!!! Perhaps Renault removed it when they had disconnected the main lead going to the regulator whilst I was waiting on the car going in for repair.

After I did this I also sprayed the main lead that goes to the regulator (Image 7 in the last link) with more of the Maplin Electronic Solvent and again covered that whole area with clear silicone sealant just as it is in the same picture.

I reconnected everything together after I had allowed the silicone sealant time to dry and put the panel back on. Now it was time to test it and to be honest I wasnt expecting a miracle but to my sheer surprise my window was working again!

At first the window fell about half way down and stuck again. The Wife panicked offcourse thinking we had a car sitting with an open window all night lol.

So I did as it says on the forum and turned the electrics on and off a few times until I got the window to the top. Then once it was up I held the switch in the up position for around 10 seconds to reset it, then let the window go to the bottom and held the switch down for around 10 seconds to reset it and then presto the window is working perfect again! The best part is now that the regulator is sealed properly this shouldnt happen again. Well to that window anyway! lol

Now for the back window. Anyone know if these are any easier? I know I need a torx 15 screwdriver for this one though.

Thanks again everyone for some superb help :d

·
Diamond dismember
221 Posts
Thanks a lot for your vote of confidence, and I'm glad to hear that it worked out for you. :)

I assume the rear windows are similarly laid out, and that the job shouldn't differ much.
I'd like to take the opportunity to remind you to ensure that the drain holes at the bottom aren't clogged before piecing the door card back together.
Best of luck with the rear window. :)

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for your vote of confidence, and I'm glad to hear that it worked out for you. :)

I assume the rear windows are similarly laid out, and that the job shouldn't differ much.
I'd like to take the opportunity to remind you to ensure that the drain holes at the bottom aren't clogged before piecing the door card back together.
Best of luck with the rear window. :)

UPDATE

Just checked the car there and the window is still operating. Although there is still water coming into the door pocket :crazy:

When I had the speaker grill off I used the silicone sealent to put a seal around the very bottom of the speaker where I assumed water was coming in. Please see the image below:

The red arrows indicate where I put the clear sealant and the yellow line represents the line of sealant itself.

I had a look under the door last night and I was able to locate a hole cut out in the door behind the rubber trim that runs along the bottom. Is this the drainage hole you were talking about?

When I had the panel off last night I couldnt see much debris down there and I put a screwdriver up through the hole I was talking about and could clearly see it when looking between the door and panel. Should water be draining out through that?

Should I have put the clear silicone sealant somewhere else and do I have to take the whole door panel off again to do so?

Cheers again for your help

·
Diamond dismember
221 Posts
The hole you put a screwdriver through is such a drain hole, yes, so if you've put sealant in it, remove it as soon as you can.
Water ingress would come from above, so make sure the rubber seals on the outside of the window are properly pressing against the glass all the way across.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The hole you put a screwdriver through is such a drain hole, yes, so if you've put sealant in it, remove it as soon as you can.
Water ingress would come from above, so make sure the rubber seals on the outside of the window are properly pressing against the glass all the way across.

Is that the only drain hole? I didnt put any sealant over that part so water should still drain out of it.

Where do I seal around the speaker?

·
Diamond dismember
221 Posts
Where do I seal around the speaker?
Besides the connector, this one's a bit tough.
I'd be putting some screening plate up behind the mount, above the speaker, so that water doesn't run straight down onto it.
Some sound dampening foil applied wisely should also do the trick, and enhance the sound in your car a little bit
(although the difference is far more noticeable with a good aftermarket head unit).

·
Administrator
14,790 Posts
Glad it's all working now!! :d I couldn't have fixed mine without the site so I'm glad I can help others too:d

I've to do my back one aswel but I haven't got round to it yet. But I'll let you know ASAP... And try to get some pics too if needed.:d

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.