Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heavy steering in my megane coupe 1.6 auto. I've checked the tyre pressure, just feels heavy at slow (parking) speed! Anyone? This is my 1st post, and 1st renault

·
Stockport Platinum
3,899 Posts
It sounds like the power steering pump could be at fault or the pump relay but other causes could be under inflated tyres or bad suspension components . I would check the power steering fluid first as if it's low it will affect the steering so you need to check that first at the front of the engine bay on the drivers side is where you should find it and it will probably need a good clean to see where the fluid is on the level markers and if it needs topping up you better put some gloves on as it's not good on the skin .

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

With car stationary,does the steering get any lighter if you pick the revs up a little?.If it does then it's almost certaintly a worn pump.

I have heard of a few racks giving problems too,but that usually leads to complete power steering failure,or even loss of power steering in just one direction.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks, I have tried the things you suggested but to no avail. What is the 'relay'? Where is it and what does it do?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts