Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

In the last few weeks I'm getting the impression that the electrically assisted steering on my Megane has gotten heavier.

Mind you compared to our other cars its still the lightest. It could all be just my imagination.

But during parking maneuvers I remember one could turn the steering wheel, well, just by staring at it hard enough!:d It just seems to have gotten heavier.

A while ago I had the steering column replaced with a 2nd hand unit.

The car has been checked via Renault's CLIP, everything checks out ok, the column is properly programmed and the assistance percentage figures when turning the wheel while stationary are OK.

I've checked tyre pressures, they 're also ok.

What could the problem be? Something in the suspension?

I had the front left strut mount replaced a few weeks ago. Could the right one be on its way out causing heavier steering?

I really hope the column and rack are ok...:(

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery checks out ok and so does the alternator.

Frankly I don't think this is an electrical problem... A fault would show up on the CLIP check... Also I think the EPAS either works or doesn't...

I'm leaning towards a mechanical problem, specifically something in the front suspension...

I will try to compare my car's steering with a similar one's and see if there really is a problem...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts