Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Started OK drove for about 30 seconds and cut out. Started a couple of times (out of hundreds of attempts) since but runs like a bag of spanners. Dash light says STOP! Engine turns over and tries but never really starts. Replaced Glow plugs

I really need some help please. Last September 2010 I bought a Renault Espace The Race from Derby. I knew it needed some work. So drove home to Cheshire OK cleaned in & out, did the brakes, Track rods and put 4 new tyres on it and was about to do the back wheel bearing when it just stopped working. I live opposite a garage so we pushed it in there, they had it for a month but couldn't fix it. Tried a few mates etc nobody could fix it, tried a very experienced mobile mechanic he can't fix it. Six months in now Only option is main dealer does anybody have experience with these? Just won’t start!

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Main dealer will just keep fitting bits till they cure it or bankrupt you :)

does the immobiliser light go out after turning on ignition for a few seconds ? if not it wont start if yes then continue reading

You need to find out if the timing is correct using diagnostic equipment if it is then you need to find out if fuel pressure is ok again using diagnostic equipment

If the timing and fuel pressure are ok and it still does not go i would give it a squirt of carb cleaner down the intake while cranking if it then runs you have fuel problems if it does not then you need the head off

sorry but diagnostics by someone who knows how to interprit the data is the best way with these

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for the assistance, I did suspect the immobiliser but apparently that’s OK. A couple of days after the car first failed the garage across the road said it was working fine started every time and they didn’t know why. I tried starting the next day and it wouldn’t start.
A have a mobile mechanic looking at it now and he also has done a reading and had it running (although very rough). He says it is showing the air flow metre has a problem but he’s tested that and it is fine. He now is at the stage where he can do no more. Guess I need to take it for a diagnostics at Renault but that worries me re: cost.
I have had the car six months and driven for about two weeks so far its cost me over three and half thousand pounds and it’s started to go mouldy inside. Deeply regret buying it. I read a thread you also commented on and the problem was solved by a replacement fuel tank where the pipes had got kinked.
Thanks again for your help – I’ll keep you posted on progress J
Regards
Ian

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi I have just had a word with the mechanic; he believes it could be ECU lockout...? we have checked all the above and everything up to that point is OK!

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
I doubt it as the ecu gets locked when the key is removed and unlocks when the chip is read you already said immobiliser was working

Ecu's can fail but not as often as they get blamed for failure !!

A decent diagnostic session is what you need checking fuel pressures etc

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
might be someone local to you who can do it without going to dealers

Plenty of smaller garages have software to deal with renaults ask a taxi driver they always know the cheapest/best places

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Guys
Apologies for not updating this thread. I took the car in to the main dealers and they diagnosed it immediately as the airflow mass metre. Swapped it and it worked OK; replaced the old one and it failed again. Now we had done this previously with an after-market unit but it didn’t work for us because we needed to “re-program the computer” as Renault explained. Original part wasn’t that much more expensive than the spurious one and Renault did a deal on the labour charges due to the age of the car (2001). So turned out OK in the end if rather expensive and time consuming.

Suffered another problem bringing the car away as the fuel filter blew and squirted diesel all over the engine. Reason? I think the diesel had frozen and cracked the seal in the bad winter months the car was stood. Renault came to my home to fix it free of charge because they should have picked it up on the 25 point check they do - I had to pay for the new fuel filter though (£115).

Thanks for all your assistance guys. Hopefully this update may help others in a similar situation.

I just need to replace the back brakes & discs for the MOT now ;o)

·
Artful Bodger..chief sneaky eliminator
25,138 Posts
Glad you got it sorted, you mentioned you lived in Cheshire and the dealer seemed to be very fair with you and as I live in Cheshire can you tell me the dealer in question, thanks :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts