Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Can anyone help? I have disabled aunt, with stunted growth and due to change motability car. Key now is the height of seat as transfer from wheelchair is by 'banana board' and if the seat height in car and wheelchair vary her carer struggles to help her transfer.

Could anyone advise the height of rear seat from ground in new Clio? Trying to work out if lower than Toyota Auris which is a little too high now for her. Would save me a 50 mile each way drive to a dealer to measure it up.

John

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,153 Posts
Is the carer driving the car with your Aunt as passenger? Unless your Aunt if going to the same point A to point B all the time won't kerb heights and road cambers eradicate any plus or minus of seat heights? Another factor to consider is the opening angle of the doors. Really trying the different models out for real before purchase is the best way. Wouldn't a slightly larger and higher car such as the Ford Fusion or B-Max be a better consideration?

·
9,153 Posts
Just to add does your Aunt prefer to travel on the car seats? Just wondering about wheelchair accesible vehicles such as the Kangoo where you Aunt could possibly remain seated in the wheelchair if it can be loaded via rear tailgate and locked to the floorpan.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Hi

I have some experience with disabled access and Motability vehicles, does your Aunt qualify for a car as part of her care package or is she self funding ? and therefore are you looking at New Cars or 2nd hand & not necessarily a currently manufactured model ?

When looking at the differing seat heights that are given for various vehicles, you also however have to take into consideration the car door opening angle, as this varies almost as vastly as the seat heights and as a consequence affects the ease of access regardless of any height difference.

If you are transferring from a wheelchair to car seat, you normally require a car with a cars seat as close to the height of the chair.
Now as you know all (not just adult) wheelchair heights vary greatly depending on make, any adaptations etc. and depth of the seat cushion.

If you could therefore give us the chair seat height we could then compare that to the vehicle specifications.
Can you also confirm why you state rear seat height, most adult people of limited mobility use the front seat ?

Looking at the Toyota Auris the seat height is considerably lower than say that of a Renault Kajar but near enough the same as that of the I20 . Now you say the career is having difficulty with the Auris; is this because the car seat is higher or lower than the chair & the difficulty experienced is that transferring from : chair to car - car to chair or both ?
Also - how do they find the door opening angle or is this part of the difficulty due to it not being sufficient ?

Sorry this is a bit of a list of questions, but your OP is very general without any specifics for us to work with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for replies.

Yes My Mum drives and My Aunt will be passenger in rear seat - driver side. For various reasons, this is the seat in any car she can enter / exit easily. She slipped using the front seat into footwell in past and also we have been able to buy rope like handles which we have looped over headrests front and back to give her something to hold onto.

A few years back she had a wheelchair custom made so when at curb the height matched the then Vauxhall Astra. That left a small incline if parked in a car park as the curb at their house only about 6 cm. Key now is to try and keep that delta about the same.

We intend to do a sweep of some garages as I have told my Mum that Aunt needs to test the 'in and out' and also we need to check size of boot. My shortlist (Meriva / Auris / Clio / B-Max) should all hit the boot size for her custom chair. It is smaller than normal - probably more suitable for a 10 - 12 year old in height. I know i20 mentioned but boot size not ideal (my wife had one and we previously tried wheelchair. It needed be vertical and that annoyed my mother in terms of rear view mirror.

With respect to the wheelchair access seats, I have been through that. Think a little pride in my mum and her, and also the street they live on is like a narrow Victorian type street with too many cars. Not sure the space behind for ramps would always be there.

From what I see the Clio opens widest and Meriva / B-Max have unusual opening designs which give them essentially 90 degree access. However B-Max seat seems to be 'just a little too high'. I think the Auris opening angle is too tight, and I think slightly narrower on this model than before.

Will get the height - just that also a long drive for me.

Good to hear some of the models here in line with my thinking - just need to get a day off work now to drive up and test entering / exiting.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Hi

you still don't give us the chair seat height, looking at the various model Astra's' depending on what model and year the seat height varies by as much as 5 - 6 inches so not accurately able to reference to compatible vehicles.

Please can you advise this ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

you still don't give us the chair seat height, looking at the various model Astra's' depending on what model and year the seat height varies by as much as 5 - 6 inches so not accurately able to reference to compatible vehicles.

Please can you advise this ?

Will do - but the person I need to measure not about at moment - will do later

·
9,153 Posts
Another consideration is the angle of the seat cushions and the extent of their padding. If they are more reclined and profiled they hold you in place more which may make travel more comfortable but can make exiting more difficult.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Another consideration is the angle of the seat cushions and the extent of their padding. If they are more reclined and profiled they hold you in place more which may make travel more comfortable but can make exiting more difficult.
Good thinking Renoir, I was going to move onto that once we had narrowed down the vehicle height and door opening angles.

Just waiting for the OP to contact Mother for the height of chair and its dimensions for stowage etc. Hopefully he can do that today so I can do some research before I start preparing for going away for work later this week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The wheelchair is 48cm no cushion, 53cm with cushion. Kerb is about 6cm at door of house.

Given that sometimes park at curb sometimes not, think that a little red herring. Ideal would be a seat around 50/51cm from ground to minimise the differences depending on location.

Don't worry about storage. I know it fits in 90% of the clio / auris type calls. In fact auris book it is very comfortable - about 10-12 cm to spare when in. In an ideal world would like a boot with no 'lip' to help mother with putting chair in/out but it is lightweight so that a nice to have - the height of seat as you can gather is my bigger worry :)

Appreciate the feedback and assistance

1 - 10 of 10 Posts